The best backpacks for college are light enough to carry all day, yet big enough to stash everything from your laptop to gym clothes. As students across the country enjoy their summer vacation, retailers are launching early back to school sales with discounts on all types of backpacks for college. Plus, with Prime Day around the corner, we're bound to see even more deals.
Unlike children's backpacks, the best backpacks for college are made of sturdy material for durability. They should also have laptop sleeves to keep your notebook or tablet protected. Some of the best backpacks may even include multiple compartments designed specifically for certain devices.
Best backpacks for college
- Adidas: backpacks on sale from $20 (opens in new tab)
- Amazon: backpacks on sale from $17 (opens in new tab)
- Backcountry: up to 40% off The North Face, Burton, and more (opens in new tab)
- Best Buy: cases, backpacks, and sleeves from $12 (opens in new tab)
- eBags: 20% off via "BEST20" (opens in new tab)
- Kohl's: backpacks on sale from $16 (opens in new tab)
- Macy's: 20% off select backpacks/bags (opens in new tab)
- Nike: up to 40% off bags, duffel bags, and fanny packs (opens in new tab)
- REI: up to 50% off laptop backpacks (opens in new tab)
- Target: shop all backpacks under $20 (opens in new tab)
- Timbuk2: up to 50% off deals from $29 (opens in new tab)
- Walmart: Swiss Tech, Eastsport, Under Armour from $10 (opens in new tab)
- Zappos: up to 30% off select backpacks (opens in new tab)
Trail Maker Backpack: was $19 now $9 @ Amazon (opens in new tab)
Need a backpack for college, but don't want to invest too much? The Trail Maker Backpack is just what you're looking for. Priced at $10, it's inexpensive yet features everything you could want in a budget backpack like a roomy main compartment, double zippers, and an outer front pocket.
Nike Youth Gymsack: was $23 now $20 @ Amazon (opens in new tab)
Small and light, the Nike Gymsack is ideal for those times you need to carry clothes or wide objects. There are no special compartments or zippers. Instead, the backpack features a drawcord for easy access to your items.
$50 to $100
Amazon Basics Backpack: $61 @ Amazon (opens in new tab)
The Amazon Basics Backpack is made of durable polyester and features an internal, zippered laptop sleeve. It also had padded shoulder straps, waist belt, and easy to access front/top pockets. It's one of the best backpacks for college you'll find at this price point.
Pro Slim Laptop Backpack: was $99 now $69 @ eBags (opens in new tab)
For a limited time, eBags is taking a whopping 50% off the Pro Slim Laptop Backpack. The backpack offers excellent organization with a diagonal stash pocket inside the middle compartment, a padded laptop sleeve that fits up to a 17-inch laptop, and a front organizational panel with internal pockets.
The North Face Pivoter Backpack: $78 @ Amazon (opens in new tab)
(opens in new tab)The 27-liter North Face Pivoter Backpack features a roomy main compartment with a padded laptop sleep. The front compartment has a padded tablet sleeve along with additional organizational pockets. It's available in various colors at Amazon.
The North Face Borealis Backpack: $98 @ Amazon (opens in new tab)
(opens in new tab)The classic 28-liter North Face Borealis backpack features an updated suspension system. There's also a padded main compartment, a tablet sleeve, and a dedicated 17-inch laptop sleeve to protect your gear. It's now 40% off.
Lululemon Crew Backpack 22L: $98 @ Lululemon (opens in new tab)
Available in four colors, the Lululemon Crew Backpack 22L is as stylish as backpacks get. It's made with water-repellent fabric and has compartments for your laptop, workout gear, water bottle, and more. It's not cheap at $98, but it's one of the best backpacks for college we've seen.