Many are trying to figure out how to join a Zoom meeting, and we're ready to help them out. As an ever-increasing amount of at-home-workers, students, teachers and groups of family and friends learn of Zoom by word of mouth, we're not surprised that they're trying to figure out how to make it work both on desktop and mobile.
Millions of people are using Zoom, one of the best video chat apps and teleconferencing software solutions, while they're staying at home. Learn how to join a Zoom meeting, whether it's for work, an online class or talking to family and friends.
- How to change your Zoom background
- How to screen record on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android
- Zoom-bombing: How to keep trolls out of your Zoom meetings
Zoom has experienced a huge spike in popularity; the company said that downloads for the app rose 1,270% between February 22 and March 22. So with more people using Zoom than ever before, we've put together both a how to use Zoom guide and this step by step guide on how to join a Zoom meeting.
If you're looking to start your own group chat, check out how to set up a Zoom meeting. Also, Zoom isn't the only option out there, so our Zoom vs Google Hangouts face-off has good advice for those trying to decide which is right for them.
How to join a Zoom meeting: What are the requirements?
To join a Zoom meeting, a host first has to create a meeting and share the invite URL or meeting ID. You do not need a Zoom login to join a meeting, all you need is that meeting URL or ID.
Once the host starts the meeting, participants can join unless the host enabled the option allowing participants to join before the host arrives.
Alternatively, as we note below, you can sign up for Zoom with your contact info, and then your fellow Zoom users can use those details to 'call' you without an invite URL.
How to join a Zoom meeting on desktop by downloading the app
- Download the Zoom desktop app on your Mac or PC.
- Open the Zoom app.
- Click join a meeting.
- Enter the meeting ID and your name, and set audio/video permissions.
How to join a Zoom meeting on desktop via meeting invite link
- Click on the meeting invite URL that the host shared via email or text.
- Open the Zoom app.
- Approve the request for permission to use your computer's audio and camera.
Depending on the meeting's set-up, you may enter the meeting right away, you may need to wait for the host to arrive first or you may be placed into a waiting room that the host controls.
Once you're in the meeting, learn how to see everyone on Zoom in the grid format.
How to join a Zoom meeting on mobile (iPhone, Android)
- Download the Zoom app for iOS or for Android on Google Play, and set it up using your contact information — which the host can use to "call" you. Then, either
- Your app will ring when the host "calls" you (Accept the call)
- Open the mobile app.
- Tap on "Join a Meeting."
- Enter the meeting ID and your name and set audio/video permissions.
- Tap on the meeting invite URL that the host shared via email or text, which will open the Zoom app. The app may ask for permission to use your phone's camera.
Again, depending on the meeting's set-up, you may enter the meeting right away, you may need to wait for the host to arrive first or you may be placed into a waiting room that the host controls.
No longer interested in Zoom? Here's how to delete Zoom from your devices.