Update: GameStop is now sold out of consoles. Make sure to follow our PS5 restock guide for news on the next drop.
PS5 restocks over the weekend are extremely rare, but GameStop has recently been experimenting with weekend PS5 stock drops. It would appear the retailer is pleased with the results, as it will be holding its second of the month today (April 23).
News of this rare weekend GameStop PS5 restock comes from Matt Swider of The Shortcut. Matt is one of the most well-known stock trackers around for good reason: he’s got highly dependable sources at practically all the major retailers. He’s been able to confirm via his GameStop contacts that the retailer will be holding an in-store PS5 restock on Saturday, April 23. GameStop has also confirmed the restock via their website.
GameStop has in the past favored restocks on Friday, but it appears that the retailer now prefers to sell the in-demand next-gen console on a Saturday instead. It should be noted that this PS5 restock will be exclusively in-store, and the console is not expected to be available for purchase online over the weekend.
This in-store restock will start from the opening time of each individual store (which could be as early as 8 a.m. local time). We do expect some of the most eager shoppers to start queuing ahead of time, but the days of resellers camping overnight appear to be over. If you want a console we recommend heading down early but not at the cost of a good night’s sleep.
Additionally, this PS5 restock will require you to be a PowerUp Reward Pro member. GameStop has gated all of its next-gen console restocks behind its premium membership program for over a year at this point, and we expect the retailer to continue this practice for the foreseeable future. You can get signed up below ahead of the weekend.
PowerUp Reward Pro membership: from $15 @ GameStop
GameStop's PowerUp Reward membership already came with a host of benefits, but the retailer has announced that Pro-tier members will get exclusive access to next-gen console restocks. If you're still after a PS5 or Xbox Series X, this could be $15 very well spent.
Similarly, GameStop always sells its allocation of the PS5 in pre-built bundles and there’s no reason to think this drop will be an outlier. During previous PS5 restocks the retailer has priced bundles at around $600 to $700. While a GameStop bundle is certainly not the cheapest way to score a PS5, at least GameStop always charges the combined retail price of the items, so you won’t be getting price gouged.
If you'd rather purchase your console online or don't want to stretch your budget to cover a pricey GameStop bundle, be sure to check our PS5 restock hub. This comprehensive guide is updated daily with the latest updates across all major retailers.
PS5 restock tracker — stores to check
- Walmart: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock April 19)
- Best Buy: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock April 21)
- GameStop: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock April 23)
- Amazon: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock April 19)
- Dell: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock January 20)
- Target: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock April 15)
- Sony: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock April 21)
- Newegg: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock April 29)
- Kohl's: PS5 (last restock April 21)
- Adorama: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition | Bundles
- Costco: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock February 15)
- Antonline: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock April 14)
- Sam's Club: PS5 (last restock December 16)
- Verizon: PS5 | PS5 Digital Edition (last restock February 28)