10 Best Ad Blockers and Privacy Extensions

10 Best Ad Blockers and Privacy Extensions
Ad Blockers & Privacy Extensions

Online advertising can be a divisive thing. On the one hand, ads support the free content model of the internet, with advertising subsidizing many of our favorite websites. On the other hand, badly designed or intrusive adds can be disruptive to say the least, and cookies and similar advertising trackers raise privacy concerns. This is where ad blockers and anti-tracking software come in, allowing users to block irritating ads, save bandwidth, and opt out of intrusive marketing systems. Check out our favorite ad blocking extensions and apps to take control of your browsing experience.

Mandy Pandy , September 27, 2013 5:57 PM
    I have been looking for something like this for IE, tried to install and IE keeps disabling it. Not happy Microsoft
    Mandy Pandy , September 27, 2013 5:57 PM
    Unolocogringo , September 28, 2013 5:21 AM
    I have been using Do not track me by Abine since March.
    It blocks all tracking cookies ,
    I do not even see the Facebook, twitter, etc. links.
    But it allows ads to be displayed so sites still receive their add revenue.
    This ,along with disabling flash works very well.
    Aoyagi , September 30, 2013 2:03 AM
    Damn, I didn't know Firefox needed addons for such basic tasks as blocking flash or noscripting.
    Anyway, Ghostery and AB+ for the win.
    virtualban , September 30, 2013 6:00 AM
    I have Adblock Plus for Firefox, but one day, while browsing for a solution in IT forums, I was hit with loud advertising. Daaamn, when this happens to IT forums where people are more likely to block it, spreading mostly bad reputation and frustration, can't imagine what happens elsewhere and without Adblock.

I did not install flashblock, though. Got tempted, but eventually settled for how things currently are (+custom blocking of the obnoxious ad, of course)
    czerro , September 30, 2013 7:22 AM
    @Aoyagi What are you talking about? No browser does this out of box. Why are you so surprised that Firefox doesn't do it? Firefox certainly has the best addons available. Adblock Plus and Noscript. Chrome/Chromium and IE do not have anything that compares.

@virtualban ADB has a whitelist you can disable. The fact is a lot of sites sole revenue is through advertising. It sucks. Certain sites recieve a whitelist oob with whatever version of ADB you are using. It is fairly simple to remove the entries from the whitelist.
    Aoyagi , September 30, 2013 9:22 AM
    @czerro

Well, I'm sorry, but what you said is a lie, possibly induced by lack of knowledge. Opera (and I mean Opera 12, not the Chromium crap that has been coming out after that) can actually block any scripts and block flash (it's called "on demand plugin" if you feel the desire to . It can also block many other things, but I guess you need to make sure yourself) install additional plugins on other, less capable browsers.
    virtualban , October 1, 2013 12:10 AM
    @Aoyagi: my thumbs up for the quote "Opera 12, not the Chromium crap".

@czerro: I allow Adblock Plus to show non-intrusive advertising. All I want is to not wait the few seconds before the video starts on some videos on youtube, and of course no loud stuff just starting automatically.
    Fashia , November 21, 2013 7:37 PM
    This is a great resource! All the comments are super helpful too. I just came across GladSee, an ad blocker and ad replacer. GladSee says they replace ads with Facebook photos. Looks pretty cool. http://www.gladsee.org
    denny wheeler , November 25, 2013 7:06 AM
    B-b-b-but--the simplest ad(and malware) blocker has been around since Windows95. And is free. And is on every Windows computer, but in basic, somewhat useless form.

It's a file in the Windows/System folder (location does vary a bit depending on version). What is it, you're asking? HOSTS file. Plain ascii text file.
    See http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm for more information and an excellently configured HOSTS file. No charge, of course. I've used the mvps HOSTS file (in its evolving versions) since Windows 98 or so.
    denny wheeler , November 25, 2013 11:37 AM