containing

40 Best Free Android Apps

40 Best Free Android Apps
Best Free Android Apps

You already pay enough each month for your Android phone's monthly data plan, so why pay even more for apps? The good news is that many of the best options available through the Google Play store are free. The true challenge is sorting the must-downloads from the apps that will just waste storage space. From news readers, utilities, games, to photo editors, media players and social networking tools, here are 40 of our favorite free Android apps.

misry , August 19, 2011 3:14 PM
    I like the flashlight app!

What can I say, new apps are getting few and far between. :/
    killerclick , August 19, 2011 3:27 PM
    Yeah, only the flashlight seems useful for me, everything else is meh...
    killerclick , August 19, 2011 3:30 PM
    Zagen30 , August 19, 2011 8:41 PM
    My friends laughed when I showed them flashlight app, but evidently it's not as stupid as they thought.
    Userremoved , August 20, 2011 2:04 AM
    killerclickApps are a soon-to-be-dead concept anyway as HTML5 becomes widely supported. Who wants to write a separate app for every device out ther when they can have HTML5 apps that work on all phone OSes, Windows, OS X, Linux, etc?

killerclick , August 20, 2011 12:56 PM
    UserremovedSo you're saying all applications are obsolete because of HTML5? That's silly if that were true Flash would have done that years ago. Apps are good because most don't need an internet connection.

You need an internet connection to download them and then may or may not need internet connection to run those apps. Similar with HTML5, it will be able to store data thanks to the cache manifest feature.
    As for Flash, it's still alive because of the wide market penetration and its portability. Compared to the number of Flash enabled devices (including PCs), Android and iOS have a much smaller user base and will be replaced quite easily and quickly.
    summitflier , October 7, 2011 7:27 PM
    If HTML5 really does replace apps, what web servers will these apps live on? Will the carriers be able to handle all this increased bandwidth? Do you really trust all your data to live in the "cloud" on someone's web server/database, or would you rather have it local on your device? What happens to all the handset app developers, there are hundreds of app developers for iPhones and android. Sure this causes a lot of duplication of apps, but we the consumers get to decide which apps are good and which are bad, what happens when you are forced to go to a specific HTML5 site,, and have no choice, what happens to the economy of all the app developers? Seems like a bad idea on many levels.
    Anonymous , January 26, 2012 10:59 PM
    The problem with Tiny Flashlight + LED is that it wants too much information. It wants to read phone state and identity - that means it's giving out not only your phone number, but the phone number of the person you talk to if the app is active during a call. It makes sense that it wants to control the flashlight, but control the camera?

I say find yourself a more privacy friendly flashlight tool. I use TeslaLED. It has a slightly weird GUI, but it has more respect for your privacy.
    jaksun5 , January 27, 2012 4:53 AM
    The doom wallpaper doesn't count as 'useful'
    Anonymous , January 27, 2012 12:05 PM
    Looking into buying my 1st tablet.
    Been looking around Android apps and sad to see there are so many flashlight apps. They claim theirs is brighter than the others... also HD light! Very pathetic I think.
    Anonymous , April 11, 2012 9:44 AM
    Nice list. I use MedDose- medication reminder. it’s for free. Nice app. Reminders work great. I use it daily. You can find it on android market
    catchercradle , June 21, 2012 2:05 PM
    So many apps don't seem to work on my aging htc hero. I might get interested when I upgrade. ( only have this phone because I was given it by someone who upgraded.)
    ibboard , June 21, 2012 3:34 PM
    Somewhat "meh" list with some apps that are of a type that can be useful but aren't the best. I'm not even sure things like Instagram are at all useful.

Don't bother with the unit conversion app, try Unit Converter (or Unit Converter Lite if you want to drop the Internet permission at the loss of the currency exchange).

Why use the stock Twitter client? Twicca is way better for me - stylish, useful and extensible via plugins.

I'd be interested to know how many of these are truly free and how many (like every single torch app I've seen) runs adverts and so needs an Internet connection permission (or more...like position!)
    Anonymous , June 22, 2012 7:59 AM
    Is phone usgae apps capable to measure 2G data usage?????
    if yes then how!!!
    if NO then suggest the better apps pls......
    marclee37 , June 22, 2012 11:02 PM
    does anyone know where is the original market enabler? not the one introduced in this article. original one has complete carrier list for choose, interface is much sophisticated. i can select whatever carrier i thought of. now this "new" market enabler only have a handful of carriers to choose (13 only)
    darkchazz , June 23, 2012 2:57 AM
    "Quadrant"
    Hey Tom's... That's a really HORRIBLE choice for a benchmark, it is unreliable...
    There are far better choices, such as antutu, or better yet, cf-bench...
    There's also nenamark2, a great graphics benchmark.
    Anonymous , June 24, 2012 1:59 PM
    Does HTML5 support GPS, gyroscopic sensors, cameras management, multi-touches sensors managements, wifi managment, blue-tooth management, and other device hardware managements like apps would have access to?
    virtualban , June 25, 2012 10:17 AM
    "Sexy Vibes", that is *coughs* useful *coughs*

On a serious note, though, "LED Light" I have found useful because the flash can stay on even when moving away from the App that started it, so I can start camera and record video with light.
    Wolvan , June 25, 2012 1:13 PM
    Swiftkey rules the aftermarket keyboard for a reason. Its an outstanding keyboard that even my wife loves. Newest version just hit the market (3).
    Anonymous , August 21, 2012 1:49 AM
    With me Android have more useful
    I can use it to store my business card with app of Cardfila.com