Instagram's taken so much control of its feed — not even offering a chronological view — that I'm ready to throw a parade for the company for giving us the option to mute accounts. The feature, announced in a blog post today (May 22), allows you to mute people, so you can take a break from seeing their content without the awkwardness of unfollowing them.
Personally, I'm super excited about this new option because I often find myself trying to avoid posts from certain folks who tend to spoil sports events before I can watch. I've used the Feedless iOS content blocker for this task in the past, but that also pushes me to use the web version of Instagram, and I lose access to Instagram's direct messages.
While the option to mute story posts has always been there in Instagram, muting stories from the feed is a valuable new addition. If these steps don't work for you, don't worry, as it appears to be rolling out in staggered waves. (It's not on my phone yet.)
Here's how to use mutes in Instagram
1. Tap a user name in the feed.
2. Tap the three dots icon.
3. Tap Mute.
4. Tap Mute Posts, Mute Story or Mute Posts and Story.
Congrats, you've taken control of your Instagram feed!
More Instagram tips
- How to change your Instagram password or reset it
- How to save photos from Instagram
- 8 hidden Instagram features you need to know about
- How to download Instagram
- How to turn on Instagram’s Dark Mode on iOS and Android
- How to use Instagram Co-Watching
- How to deactivate your Instagram account
- How to use Instagram Stories
- How to download all your Instagram posts