Prime Day is officially over. Amazon, along with most retailers, are now shifting their focus to the holidays. With just a few days left to the holiday season, many retailer are offering early holiday sales you can get now. In fact, you can expect Amazon to offer discounts on backpacks, tech, and apparel.
The biggest back to school sale we've seen from Amazon reduced the Editor's Choice MacBook Air M1 to just $799. It's the deal we were expecting to see — but didn't see — on Prime Day.
While there are some rumors that we could see another Prime Day in the fall, the chances of it are small. So how did Prime Day 2021 stack up and what were the best Prime Day alternative deals?
As far as alternative Prime Day deals are concerned, Walmart's alternative Prime Day deals were strong. Walmart's sale lasted longer than Amazon's by a few days.
Meanwhile, Best Buy offered the Vizio 55-inch 4K OLED TV on sale for $999. That's $100 off and the second-cheapest OLED TV we've seen all year.
Amazon shocked us all, however, with its post Prime Day PS5 drop. It was short lived, but not expected by most shoppers.
Black Friday and Amazon
Black Friday will be here before you know it and few retailers dominate the holiday season like Amazon. In fact, the retailer is already offering a variety of early deals that slice the price of fitness gear, 4K TVs, apparel, and more. Make sure to follow our Amazon Black Friday deals coverage for the best early sales.
Prime Day deals — Quick links
- Alexa device sale: Echo devices from $14
- Adidas: up to 55% off polo shirts, sneakers, jerseys, more
- Alba Botanica sunblock: 50% off sprays and lotions
- Amazon Basics Home: bedding deals from $11
- American Apparel: tops/bottoms from $10
- Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS/44mm): was $429 now $349 @ Amazon
- Apple AirPods Pro: was $249 now $189
- Asics: men's and women's sneakers from $26
- Athleisure wear: yoga pants, workout tops from $6
- Back-to-school sales: Notebooks, Elmer's Glue from $5
- Bedding & bath: deals on comforters, shower curtains, more
- Bissell vacuums: 50% off floorcare and air purifiers
- Black + Decker: power tools up to 50% off
- Blu-ray movie sets: Batman, Indiana Jones from 45% off
- Board games: up to 60% all games
- Books: best sellers from $4
- Bose: headphones and speakers from $129
- Bowflex: home gym deals extra 20% off sale prices
- Brita water filters: up to $10 off
- Calphalon: cookware and appliances from $39
- Camping gear: Coleman, Igloo, Zippo from $8
- Chromebooks: HP, Lenovo, Acer from $209
- Clothing: up to 50% off Anne Klein, Bulova, Izod,
- Crest: up to 30% off teeth whitening strips
- Deep fryers: Cuisinart, Hamilton Beach, more from $24
- Dewalt tools: 60% off drills and more
- Designer apparel: Kenneth Cole, Calvin Klein up to 45% off
- External hard drives: Seagate, WD, more from $38
- Fitness: deals from $6
- Garmin smartwatches: up to 30% off deals from $49
- Gift cards: 20% off Old Navy, Adidas, Cold Stone
- Groceries: up to 35% off Quaker, Starbucks, Lay's, and more
- Gym bags: Puma, Nike, Adidas from $12
- Halloween: costumes from $10
- HDTVs: smart TVs from $99
- Headphones: Sony, Bose, Anker deals from $10
- Heating/cooling: fans and air conditioners from $12
- Juicing machines: save on NutriBullet, Breville, more
- KitchenAid tools: kitchen deals from $6
- Kitchen appliances: save on Ninja, Keurig, Instant Pot
- Keurig coffee makers: machines from $69
- Laptops: save on MacBooks, Chromebooks, and Windows machines
- Levi's: up to 55% off men's/women's shorts and jeans
- LifeStraw: up to 50% off water filters
- Luggage/travel: sets and accessories from from $8
- Magazines: 90% off Food & Wine, Real Simple, more
- Nike: up to $50 off sneakers & shorts
- Nvidia RTX GPUs: up to $140 off video cards
- Office chairs: deals from $39
- OLED TVs: up to $1,500 off LG and Sony
- Pet food/supplies: save on Blue, Fresh Step, Wellness
- Philips Sonicare: electric toothbrushes from $59
- Power tools: DeWalt, Black & Decker, Bosch up to 50% off
- PS5 games: deals from $29
- Robot vacuums: iRobot, Shark, more from $129
- Samsung storage sale: deals from $24
- Sneakers: Skechers, New Balance, Asics from $19
- Surface laptops: from $599
- Swimming pool toys: up to 60% off inflatables
- Vitamix blenders: countertop blenders 50% off
- Xbox Series X|S games: from $19
- Xmas decor: lights, stockings more from $2
Best Prime Day deals you can still get
Top 10 Deals Today
- up to 40% off mattresses at Amazon
- Editor's Choice Nectar mattress from $499 @ Nectar
- up to $500 off Tempur-Pedic mattresses @ Tempur-Pedic
What is Amazon Prime Day 2021
Prime Day is a 48-hour retail holiday designed for Prime members. Amazon Prime Day originally started in July of 2015 as a way to celebrate Amazon's 20th anniversary. For 24 hours, Amazon slashed the price of hundreds of items on its site. The event was a hit and since then Amazon Prime Day has grown into a massive retail holiday.
Today, Prime Day deals include discounts on everything from the Echo Dot to Nike sneakers. It's become a massive juggernaut for Amazon and we predict it'll be just as strong in 2021 as it has been in previous years.
- Prime Day is a 2-day retail holiday for Prime members only
- Amazon promises over two million Prime Day deals in 2021
- Prime Day will be celebrated multiple countries
- Some of the best Prime Day deals will focus on Amazon hardware
When is Prime Day 2021
Prime Day 2021 has officially started. It will last 48 hours through June 22. Last year, Prime Day occurred on October 13. The pandemic and an unprecedented surge in deliveries caused Amazon to delay Prime Day by a few months. Traditionally, Prime Day is celebrated in mid July.
Where is Prime Day celebrated
The first Amazon Prime Day was celebrated in 9 countries including the U.S., UK, Spain, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, Canada, and Austria. Amazon Prime Day has since expanded in popularity. Last year, Prime deals were held in 18 countries including the United States, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, Spain, Singapore, Netherlands, Mexico, Luxembourg, Japan, Italy, India, Germany, Austria, France, China, Canada, Belgium, and Australia.
However, Amazon recently announced that it will pause Prime Day in Canada and India, reports CNBC. Both countries are undergoing significant COVID-19 spread, which is the reason Amazon is postponing its retail holiday.
How long do Prime day deals last?
Prime Day 2021 will last 48 hours as it did last year. However, Prime Day deals haven't always lasted a full two days. Lightning deals can sell out in minutes, whereas other deals can last through the entire Prime Day duration. Our advice is that if you spot a deal you like, buy it on the spot. (After price checking other retailers, of course). If it sells out, you can always check Amazon competitors like Walmart and Best Buy who may be price matching Amazon and offering the same deal.
Amazon Prime Day Whole Foods deals
Amazon-owned organic grocer Whole Foods plays a huge role on Prime Day. In fact, one of our favorite Amazon Prime Day deals comes from Whole Foods. For the past three years, Amazon has given Prime members who shop at Whole Foods a $10 Amazon credit that can be used on Amazon Prime Day. Unfortunately, that deal is not available this year.
Other Prime Day deals with Whole Foods include discounts on seafood, meat, organic produce, and more. Even if you're not a fan of Whole Foods, it's worth shopping there in the lead up to Prime Day (and during Prime Day) for the savings.
- Single-serve mochi (BOGO)
- Beef rib steaks for $11.99/lb.
- Chilean sea bass for 25% off
- Reusable water bottles for 30% off
How to prepare for Amazon Prime Day 2021
- If you you're not a Prime member, you can't participate in Prime Day. However, what you can do is sign up for a free Prime membership. The free trial lasts 30 days, which is more than enough time to take advantage of Amazon's sales. That said, you'll want to plan your free trial so it falls during Prime Day 2021.
- Prime Day 2021 is bound to be a record-breaking day(s) for Amazon. That means some shipments may fall through the cracks. Here's what to do in case you wind up with an Amazon Prime late delivery.
- Plan on cancelling your Prime membership? Check out our guide on how to cancel Amazon Prime.
- Don't buy any Amazon devices just yet. Prime Day deals tend to focus on Amazon gear (e.g. Echo Dot, Kindle Paperwhite). Wait till Prime Day when these devices see their lowest price of the year.
What is the Amazon Prime Day Show
The Amazon Prime Day Show is a three-part musical event to celebrate this year's Prime Day. Headlining the show are Billie Eilish, H.E.R., and Kid Cudi. The Prime Day Show is now available to stream for Prime and non-members for 30 days.
Each celebrity stars in their own Prime Day Show, which lasts from 25 to 27 minutes. These aren't outright concerts, but instead Amazon describes them as "unique experiences that fuse performance and storytelling."
This isn't the first Prime Day Show we've seen from Amazon. In 2018, Amazon chose Ariana Grande, Alessia Cara, Kelsea Ballerina, and Julia Michaels to headline their show. The following year the Amazon Prime Day concert featured Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, Becky G, and SZA. (There was no concert in 2020).
Tips for finding the best Prime Day deals
Price check everything: Our number one rule when shopping on Prime Day is to price check what you're about to buy. Price checking on Prime Day is quite easy. We're big fans of CamelCamelCamel, a website that price checks millions of items sold on Amazon. The website tracks price lows, so if the item you're looking at was cheaper in March, you'll be able to see the price difference. There's even a Chrome extension called Camelizer, which you can install and click on anytime you want to look at the price history of a product.
Keep in mind that there might be some items CamelCamelCamel doesn't track. In those instances, we use Shopbrain or Shopsavvy. They won't tell you the price history of an item, but they'll tell you if a competing retailer offers a better price.
Don't limit yourself to Amazon: That leads us to our second point: Prime Day is a faux retail holiday designed to promote Amazon devices and services. However, just like you wouldn't buy your entire wardrobe from one designer, you shouldn't do all of your Prime Day shopping at Amazon. Walmart, Target, and Best Buy are just a handful of competitors planning "Prime Day" sales of their own.
And based on what we saw from these retailers last year, we expect them to once again offer very competitive sales throughout the duration of Prime Day. Bottom line: Amazon doesn't always offer the best prices.
Take advantage of free credits: Amazon really wants you to spend money on Prime Day. However, if there aren't any items you want to buy or if you're just really trying to stick to your budget, there are some pretty amazing Prime Day deals you can get right now. We like these deals because after spending $10, you'll get a $10 Amazon credit in exchange.
Avoid buying junk: The pandemic completely changed how we shop. Clorox Wipes, for instance, were more popular than swimsuits last summer. Meanwhile, Lysol Spray is still high in demand and sells out fast. That means Amazon and a lot of its 3rd party sellers are sitting on a stockpile of unsold items. As a result, this Prime Day you can expect to see a fire sale on a range of off-season items and apparel. Sure, prices will be low, but if you survived the past few months without it, chances are you don't really need it.
Watch out for shady reviews: In addition to fake deals, shoppers should always keep an eye out for fake reviews. Although Amazon has removed many bogus reviews from its website, there are so many that it's become near-impossible for Amazon to keep up. That's why we're fans of Fakespot. The site's engine can analyze the quality of reviews on any Amazon page and churn out a letter grade indicating whether the product has mostly fake or real reviews. ReviewMeta is a similar site that looks for suspicious terminology or repeated phrases in reviews before offering a failing or passing grade.
Where to find alternative Prime Day deals
Over the past years, retailers like Walmart, Best Buy, and Target have held anti Prime Day deals of their own. Best Buy has been especially aggressive with its alternative Prime Day deals — oftentimes undercutting Amazon in certain categories like 4K TVs and smart home devices. Meanwhile, retailers like Walmart are also known for undercutting Amazon with their anti Prime Day deals. We'll bring you the best alternative Prime Day deals during Amazon Prime Day and post Prime Day.