Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune was one of the best releases for the PlayStation 3 two years ago, and this year a sequel is set to accomplish the same thing.
While Uncharted 2: Among Thieves won’t be in stores until this November, we’re giving you a chance today to pick up one of our keys so that you can take part in the multiplayer beta that’s going on right now.
We have five beta keys to give away, and in return we’d like to be entertained. We want you to write a short fan fiction based on the characters from the first Uncharted game. Obviously those who’ve played are well acquainted with the original have the advantage, but we want to give away these keys to fans of the first game. (Click here for a plot summary.)
Feel free to get creative. You can try to keep with the pulpy style of Uncharted’s story telling, or you can put your own funny spin on things. The only guideline is that it has to recognizable that it’s based on the Uncharted universe, but otherwise it’s up to you.
Post your fan fiction short story in the comments below. We’ll be considering all entries submitted from now through June 19, 2009 June 21, 2009 (closing at 11:59 pm PST, GMT -8).
UPDATE: We're extending this contest through the weekend just so that those of you who didn't have time to work on something during the weekdays can now get your entry in. Those who have submitted prior to the original closing date of tonight will receive special consideration.
This contest is subject to the following rules:
Sony PlayStation Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Multiplayer Beta Code Keys
1. Eligibility: US (excluding RI) and Canadian residents 18 years or older as of the entry dates stated below. Winners (5) determined by Bestofmedia. No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase does not increase your odds of winning. Void where prohibited.
2. The official contest Sponsor is Bestofmedia LLC, USA (“Bestofmedia”), 10559 Jefferson Blvd., Suite A, Culver City, CA 90232, USA
3. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the participant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The contest is subject to federal, state, provincial, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
4. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, at its sole discretion, either (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules or (b) award the prizes according to the Judging Criteria from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual they find to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by the Sponsor to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
5. The Contest:
- a. There will be one contest, which will run from June 17, 2009 (12:01 am PST, GMT -8) through June 21, 2009 (11:59 pm PST, GMT -8).
- b. Contestants register for the contest by submitting a story (see d. below) in the Comments section of the news article announcing this contest.
- c. There will be five contest winners. Each winner will receive a key allowing them to use the “Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Multiplayer” beta version.
- d. Contest registrants must submit will submit brief stories (fan fiction) based on the characters from the first Uncharted game.
- e. Bestofmedia editorial staff will judge the contest, selecting the authors of the five stories that will receive the five “Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Multiplayer” beta keys.
- f. A contest registrant may win only one of the five prizes.
- g. Submission of a contest entry implies the contestant has read these rules.
6. The beta keys have no monetary value, because beta code is being used.
7. All prize winners are responsible for taxes and other surcharges on the prizes they win.
8. Requirements of a Potential Winner: Except where prohibited, a potential Winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit (or declaration) of eligibility and a liability/publicity release. In addition, a potential Winner may be required to sign a release in which he/she irrevocably assigns and transfers to the Sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in Entry, including, without limitation, all copyrights and trademark rights, and waives all moral rights in the Entry. Documents must be signed and returned to the Sponsor within seven (7) days of being notified. If a potential Winner fails to sign and return the required documents within the required time period or is otherwise ineligible to receive the prize, an alternate entrant may be selected in his/her place according to the selection procedures set forth above.
9. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless Bestofmedia, other companies associated with promotion of the contest, and each of their subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) any technical errors that may prevent an entrant from submitting an entry; (b) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (f) injury, death, or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize.
10. These rules incorporate any rules set by Sony Computer Entertainment America (Sony) relating to the use of the “Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Multiplayer” beta or the keys provided by Sony.
11. Participation in the Contest constitutes an entrant’s consent to the Sponsor’s use of his/her name, likeness, voice, opinions, biographical information, and state of residence for promotional purposes in any media without further payment or consideration.