Family dysfunction reaches new heights in Succession season 3, coming in just a matter of weeks. HBO recently dropped a clip from the premiere episode, which picks up immediately after the events of the season 2 finale. That's on top of the trailer, which previews Logan Roy and son Kendall in an all-out fight over their family company. Entering the ring are several new Succession season 3 cast members, including Adrien Brody and Alexander Skarsgard. Bring on all the tall men!
Succession season 2 left off on a nail-biting cliffhanger with that aforementioned betrayal. And we're expecting a lot more billionaire family dysfunction when the acclaimed show premieres on HBO and HBO Max. And we're more than ready to watch the Succession season 3 finale, with all the questions that episode 8 left on the table.
Here is the Succession season 3's official synopsis: "Ambushed by his rebellious son Kendall at the end of season two, Logan Roy begins season three in a perilous position. Scrambling to secure familial, political and financial alliances, tensions rise as a bitter corporate battle threatens to turn into a family civil war."
Brody and Skarsgard aren't the only new face on Succession season 3. Sanaa Lathan and Hope Davis are also on board. And in exciting behind-the-scenes news, Lorene Scafaria, the director of Hustlers, is helming episodes.
Here's everything we know so far about Succession season 3.
- Best HBO Max shows and movies to watch
- All the latest news about Ozark season 4
- The Morning Show season 2: Everything to know
Succession season 3 release date
HBO has set the Succession season 3 release date for October 17.
Filming began in fall 2020 in New York City and other locations, including Italy.
Succession season 3 trailer and clip
The first full trailer for Succession season 3 dropped in mid-September. Kendall has just started a war against his father by throwing him under the bus at a press conference. Now, he's "the number one trending topic ahead of tater tots," according to Greg. Meanwhile, Logan is on a rampage and looking for the whereabouts of his children.
HBO also released a clip from the Succession season 3 premiere episode, which follows Kendall in the immediate moments following the press conference. Hounded by the media, he, Greg and Karolina (Waystar RoyCo's head of PR) jump into a car. But it's a company car ... and didn't Kendall just blow up the company?
Succession season 3 cast
The cast of Succession season 3 is a true ensemble, but it's anchored by the Roy family:
Brian Cox as Logan Roy, the billionaire founder of media and entertainment conglomerate Waystar RoyCo.
Alan Ruck as Connor Roy, Logan's eldest son from his first marriage. Connor is making a presidential bid.
Jeremy Strong as Kendall Roy, Logan's second son and once-presumed natural successor to take over the company. He has struggled with substance abuse and is estranged from his wife.
Kieran Culkin as Roman Roy, Logan's third and youngest son of Logan Roy, who vies with Kendall for power and influence.
Sarah Snook as Siobhan "Shiv" Roy, Logan's youngest child and only daughter. She was a political fixer and is angling for her share of power at Waystar.
Matthew Macfadyen as Tom Wambsgans, Shiv's husband and a Waystar executive who is desperate to earn Logan's approval.
Nicholas Braun as Greg Hirsch, Logan's grandnephew who is learning the ropes at the company and works closely with Tom.
Other spouses, significant others and relatives who appear:
- Hiam Abbass as Marcia Roy, Logan's third and current wife who is distrusted by his children.
- Justine Lupe as Willa Ferreyra, Connor Roy's girlfriend and an aspiring playwright.
- Caitlin FitzGerald as Tabitha, Roman's girlfriend.
- Natalie Gold as Rava Roy, Kendall's estranged wife with whom he has three children.
- Harriet Walter as Lady Caroline Collingwood, the second wife of Logan Roy, and mother to Kendall, Shiv, and Roman.
- James Cromwell as Ewan Roy, Logan's estranged older brother and Greg's grandfather.
Aside from the family, there are company executives, business associates and various allies and enemies, including:
- J. Smith-Cameron as Gerri Kellman, general counsel of Waystar RoyCo.
- Peter Friedman as Frank Vernon, Waystar RoyCo's COO.
- Dagmara Domińczyk as Karolina Novotney, head of PR.
- David Rasche as Karl Muller, chief financial officer.
- Fisher Stevens as Hugo Baker, a senior communications executive.
- Jeannie Berlin as Cyd Peach, head of ATN
- Judy Reyes as Eva, a member of Waystar RoyCo's legal team and an executive producer at ATN.
- Rob Yang as Lawrence Yee, founder of media website Vaulter that is acquired by Waystar RoyCo.
- Arian Moayed as Stewy Hosseini, a financier and friend of Kendall's who becomes a member of Waystar RoyCo's board.
- Larry Pine as Sandy Furness, the owner of a rival media conglomerate.
- Babak Tafti as Eduard Asgarov, an Azerbaijani billionaire with ties to Roman
- Eric Bogosian as Gil Eavis, a senator and Democratic presidential candidate.
- Ashley Zukerman as Nate Sofrelli, a political strategist and Shiv's former love interest.
- Holly Hunter as Rhea Jarrell, the CEO of PGM
- Cherry Jones as Nan Pierce, the head of the Pierce family and majority owner of PGM.
- Danny Huston as Jamie Laird, a banker and financier
- Annabelle Dexter-Jones as Naomi Pierce, Nan Pierce's cousin and Kendall's love interest
Season 3 will introduce some new faces to Succession, including Alexander Skarsgard. Alexander Skarsgard, who broke out on HBO's True Blood and won an Emmy for Big Little Lies, returns to the network for a major role in Succession season 3. He most recently starred in Godzilla vs Kong.
According to The Hollywood Reporter (opens in new tab), he'll play Lukas Matsson, a successful, confrontational tech founder and CEO. It's unclear how he will interact with the Roy family, but our guess is that he syncs up with Kendall, who has always been interested in the tech sphere.
Sanaa Lathan is playing Lisa Arthur, a high-profile New York lawyer. Hope Davis is Sandi Furness, the daughter of Senator Furness.
Linda Emond is appearing as Michelle-Anne Vanderhoven, a senior White House aide, while Jihae Kim plays Berry Schneider, a leading public relations consultant.
Succession season 3's Adrien Brody role
Yes, an Oscar winner is coming to Succession. Brody is playing Josh Aaronson, a billionaire activist investor who becomes pivotal in the battle for the ownership of Waystar.
As fans know, the season 2 finale set up the father of all feuds between Logan and his onetime-heir Kendall. But whose side will Brody be on? If our guess that Skarsgard's character teams up with Kendall, then it's likely Aaronson makes a pact with Logan.
What's coming next on TV and streaming? So much goodness! This rest of the year brings new shows like Wheel of Time, The Book of Boba Fett and Sex and the City: And Just Like That.
- Next: The best streaming services, ranked