- Page 1:Fastest Wireless Carrier of 2019: It's Still Verizon
- Page 2:New York: Verizon Takes Manhattan
- Page 3:Los Angeles: Another Verizon Win
- Page 4:Chicago: Verizon's Windy City Domination
- Page 5:Dallas: T-Mobile Has the Best Speeds
- Page 6:Houston: There's No Problem for Verizon
- Page 7:San Francisco: A Stroll in the Park for AT&T
- Page 8:Seattle: Verizon Sneaks Past T-Mobile
- Page 9:Philadelphia: Sprint's Time to Shine
Los Angeles: Another Verizon Win
There's a new star among wireless networks in Los Angeles. After AT&T and T-Mobile finished one-two in download speeds in last year's testing, Verizon beat out both carriers to have the best download and upload averages for the City of Angels.
Verizon posted an average download speed of 56.7 Mbps, well ahead of second-place T-Mobile's 36.1 Mbps result. Verizon topped T-Mobile in average upload speed, too — 17.9 Mbps vs. 14.9 Mbps — when we tested in half a dozen sites around Los Angeles.
T-Mobile enjoyed some measure of revenge on our app download test, as Metro by T-Mobile used its parent company's network to download Discord in an average of 20 seconds. (T-Mobile completed the task in 30 seconds.) Metro's time topped Verizon by 4 seconds.
|Average Download Speed,|
|Average Upload Speed,|
|Verizon||56.7 Mbps||17.9 Mbps||0:24|
|T-Mobile||36.1 Mbps||14.9 Mbps||0:30|
|AT&T||34.5 Mbps||14.7 Mbps||1:14|
|Metro||34.3 Mbps||14.7 Mbps||0:20|
|Straight Talk||31 Mbps||13.8 Mbps||1:06|
|Sprint||16.1 Mbps||1.2 Mbps||2:36|
|Boost||14.5 Mbps||1 Mbps||3:03|
|Cricket||5.2 Mbps||4.9 Mbps||1:00|
Sprint continues to struggle in Los Angeles, as it needed 2 minutes and 36 seconds on our app download test. (Its Boost subsidiary fared even worse, taking more than 3 minutes, on average, to download a 40MB app.) And while Sprint's average download speed of 16.1 was better than the 5.2 Mbps average Cricket turned in during our Los Angeles testing, the next slowest carrier (Straight Talk) topped 30 Mbps in our testing.
Our results reflect an average of five Speedtest.net tests conducted at six sites around Los Angeles. At each test site, we also downloaded the 40MB Discord app from the Google Play store onto Galaxy S9 phones tied to each carrier.
Verizon not only beat all rivals in Los Angeles; it also captured our overall ranking for the fastest wireless network, topping AT&T and T-Mobile. Check out our full national results.
- Fastest Wireless Carrier of 2019: It's Still Verizon
- New York: Verizon Takes Manhattan
- Los Angeles: Another Verizon Win
- Chicago: Verizon's Windy City Domination
- Dallas: T-Mobile Has the Best Speeds
- Houston: There's No Problem for Verizon
- San Francisco: A Stroll in the Park for AT&T
- Seattle: Verizon Sneaks Past T-Mobile
- Philadelphia: Sprint's Time to Shine