It's time to watch the 2022 Independent Spirit Awards online and enjoy the annual opportunity for the year's best indie movies and TV shows to take the spotlight. The 37th Film Independent Spirit Awards are returning to an in-person ceremony, with hosts (and married couple) Megan Mullally and Nick Offerman.
In years past, the Independent Spirit Awards aired on the Saturday before the Oscars. Their schedule has shifted, so now they take place as Academy members are voting.
The 2022 Spirit Award film nominees include The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car, Summer of Soul, Mike Mills, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Simon Rex, Ruth Negga and Oscar nominee Troy Kotsur.
TV nominees include Reservation Dogs, We Are Lady Parts, The Underground Railroad, Lee Jung-Jae of Squid Game.
This year's Robert Altman Award goes to the film Mass, its director Fran Kranz, casting directors and ensemble cast members including Ann Dowd, Jason Isaacs and Martha Plimpton.
Here's everything you need to know about how to watch the 2022 Independent Spirit Awards online. Scroll down for the full list of nominees.
How to watch 2022 Independent Spirit Awards online from anywhere on Earth
Just because IFC isn't available everywhere doesn't mean you can't watch the 2022 Independent Spirit Awards if you're away from home. Watching the new season along with the rest of the internet can be pretty easy with the right VPN (virtual private network). You can stream the show from wherever you go.
We've evaluated many VPN services, and our top pick is ExpressVPN (opens in new tab). It meets the VPN needs of the vast majority of users, offering outstanding compatibility with most devices and impressive connection speeds. It's also affordable at $12.95 per month. (Signing up for longer periods of six months or a year reduces the cost even more.)
Our favorite VPN service, ExpressVPN (opens in new tab), really shines thanks to its safety, speed and simplicity-to-use. It's also compatible with loads of devices - from iOS and Android to Roku, Apple TV and PlayStations. You'll even get an extra 3 months free if you sign up for a year, or there's a 30-day money-back guarantee if you just want to give it a try.
How to watch 2022 Independent Spirit Awards in the US
U.S. viewers can watch the 37th Film Independent Spirit Awards air Sunday, March 6 at 5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT on IFC.
IFC is available with a cable package. If you've already cut the cord, you can watch Top Chef live on several live TV streaming services, including Sling TV, Fubo TV, Philo, YouTube TV and DirecTV Stream.
Of these options, we recommend Sling and FuboTV, two of the best streaming services on the market.
Sling TV (opens in new tab) is one of the most affordable cable TV alternatives on the market. Right now, you can check out the service with a 3-day free trial. (opens in new tab) The Sling Blue package comes with IFC and more than 40 other top channels, including AMC, CNN, Food Network, HGTV and TLC.
The Spirit Awards are also streaming on AMC Plus, a streaming bundle that combines the best from AMC, BBC America, IFC, SundanceTV, Shudder, Sundance Now, and IFC Films Unlimited.
The library contains originals, award-winning series, popular movies, festival favorites, plus horror, sci-fi, true crime, and thrillers. Subscribers also get early access to new episodes of hit series like The Walking Dead.
Subscribe to AMC Plus (opens in new tab) directly through the website, or through popular platforms like Apple TV (opens in new tab) and Amazon Prime Video Channels (opens in new tab). We recommend subscribing through Sling TV (opens in new tab).
How to watch 2022 Independent Spirit Awards in Canada
Canadians can watch the 2022 Independent Spirit Awards on Hollywood Suite, if they get the channel through their provider.
If you are traveling in Canada and want to access the streaming services you already pay for, you'll need ExpressVPN (opens in new tab).
How to watch 2022 Independent Spirit Awards in the UK
Bad news for Brits: It doesn't look like the 2022 Independent Spirit Awards are being broadcast on any UK channels.
Travelers who want to access their paid services can do so with ExpressVPN (opens in new tab).
2022 Independent Spirit Awards nominations
- A Chiara
- C'mon C'mon
- The Lost Daughter
- The Novice
- Janicza Bravo – Zola
- Maggie Gyllenhaal – The Lost Daughter
- Lauren Hadaway – The Novice
- Mike Mills – C'mon C'mon
- Ninja Thyberg – Pleasure
Best Male Lead
- Clifton Collins Jr. – Jockey as Jackson Silva
- Frankie Faison – The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain as Kenneth Chamberlain Sr.
- Michael Greyeyes – Wild Indian as Makwa
- Udo Kier – Swan Song as Pat Pitsenbarger
- Simon Rex – Red Rocket as Mikey Saber
Best Female Lead
- Isabelle Fuhrman – The Novice as Alex Dall
- Brittany S. Hall – Test Pattern as Renesha Bell
- Patti Harrison – Together Together as Anna
- Taylour Paige – Zola as Aziah "Zola" King
- Kali Reis – Catch the Fair One as Kaylee "K.O." Uppashaw
Best Supporting Male
- Colman Domingo – Zola as Abegunde "X" Olawale
- Meeko Gattuso – Queen of Glory as Pitt
- Troy Kotsur – CODA as Frank Rossi
- Will Patton – Sweet Thing as Adam
- Chaske Spencer – Wild Indian as Teddo
Best Supporting Female
- Jessie Buckley – The Lost Daughter as Young Leda Caruso
- Amy Forsyth – The Novice as Jamie Brill
- Ruth Negga – Passing as Clare Bellew
- Revika Reustle – Pleasure as Joy
- Suzanna Son – Red Rocket as Strawberry
- Nikole Beckwith – Together Together
- Janicza Bravo and Jeremy O. Harris – Zola
- Maggie Gyllenhaal – The Lost Daughter
- Mike Mills – C'mon C'mon
- Todd Stephens – Swan Song
Best First Screenplay
- Sheldon D. Brown and Matthew Fifer – Cicada
- Lyle Mitchell Corbine, Jr. – Wild Indian
- Shatara Michelle Ford – Test Pattern
- Fran Kranz – Mass
- Michael Sarnoski and Vanessa Block – Pig
Best First Feature
- 7 Days
- Queen of Glory
- Test Pattern
- Wild Indian
Best Documentary Feature
- In the Same Breath
- Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
- Ante Cheng and Matthew Chuang – Blue Bayou
- Lol Crawley – The Humans
- Tim Curtin – A Chiara
- Eduard Grau – Passing
- Ari Wegner – Zola
- Affonso Gonçalves – A Chiara
- Ali Greer – The Nowhere Inn
- Lauren Hadaway and Nathan Nugent – The Novice
- Joi McMillon – Zola
- Enrico Natale – The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain
Best International Film
- Compartment No. 6 ( Estonia / Finland / Germany / Russia)
- Drive My Car ( Japan)
- Parallel Mothers ( Spain)
- Pebbles ( India)
- Petite Maman ( France)
- Prayers for the Stolen ( Mexico)
Best New Scripted Series
- Blindspotting (Starz)
- It's a Sin (Channel 4)
- Reservation Dogs (FX on Hulu)
- The Underground Railroad (Prime Video)
- We Are Lady Parts (Channel 4)
Best New Non-Scripted or Documentary Series
- Black and Missing (HBO)
- The Choe Show (FX)
- The Lady and the Dale (HBO)
- Nuclear Family (HBO)
- Philly D.A. (PBS)
Best Male Performance in a New Scripted Series
- Olly Alexander – It's a Sin as Ritchie Tozer (Channel 4)
- Murray Bartlett – The White Lotus as Armond (HBO)
- Michael Greyeyes – Rutherford Falls as Terry Thomas (Peacock)
- Lee Jung-jae – Squid Game as Seong Gi-hun (Netflix)
- Ashley Thomas – Them: Covenant as Henry Emory (Prime Video)
Best Female Performance in a New Scripted Series
- Deborah Ayorinde – Them: Covenant as Livia "Lucky" Emory (Prime Video)
- Jasmine Cephas Jones – Blindspotting as Ashley Rose (Starz)
- Thuso Mbedu – The Underground Railroad as Cora Randall (Prime Video)
- Jana Schmieding – Rutherford Falls as Reagan Wells (Peacock)
- Anjana Vasan – We Are Lady Parts as Amina (Channel 4)
Best Ensemble Cast in a New Scripted Series
- Reservation Dogs: Paulina Alexis, Funny Bone, Lane Factor, Devery Jacobs, Zahn McClarnon, Lil Mike, Sarah Podemski, and D'Pharaoh Woon-A-Tai
John Cassavetes Award
(The award is given to the best feature made for under $500,000; award given to the writer, director, and producer)
- Shiva Baby
- Sweet Thing
- This Is Not a War Story
- Robert Altman Award
Robert Altman Award
(The award is given to one film's director, casting director, and ensemble cast)
Mass – Fran Kranz (director), Henry Russell Bergstein (casting director), Allison Estrin (casting director), Kagen Albright, Reed Birney, Michelle N. Carter, Ann Dowd, Jason Isaacs, Martha Plimpton, and Breeda Wool
The award honors emerging producers who, despite highly limited resources, demonstrate the creativity, tenacity and vision required to produce quality, independent films. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.
Someone to Watch Award
The award recognizes talented filmmakers of singular vision who have not yet received appropriate recognition. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.
*Alex Camilleri – Luzzu
Gillian Wallace Horvat – I Blame Society
Michael Sarnoski – Pig
Truer than Fiction Award
The award is presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant recognition. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.
*Jessica Beshir – Faya Dayi
Debbie Lum – Try Harder!
Angelo Madsen Minax – North by Current