What do you do once you've completed Wordle and Quordle for the day? Why, you take on Octordle of course.
As its name suggests, Octordle is Wordle times eight: you play eight games simultaneously, and have 13 guesses to find all the answers.
Obviously, that makes it more difficult than Wordle or Quordle, although the extra guesses you're given do mitigate that to an extent. In fact, once you settle on a strategy — which won't necessarily be the one you use for Wordle — it's not as scary as you might expect. In fact, in some ways it's easier than Wordle, although that said today's Wordle answer is not too bad either.
Like its siblings, Octordle resets each day, so if you miss one game you'll have no way of knowing what the previous day's answers were. However, we'll be keeping track of the most recent games in this article, as well as helping you out with today's Octordle answers if you need a hand.
But be warned: spoilers lie ahead for game #60, so only read on if you want to know today's Octordle answers!
Today's Octordle hints
Before I go ahead and reveal today's Octordle answers, I'll give you a few clues to guide you in the right direction:
- Only four vowels are used
- Five words only have one vowel…
- …but one word has a double vowel
Need one more tip? Here's one that should definitely help you get one word at least: one of today's Octordle answers creeps up on you.
Alright, that's the hints done with — time for the solutions.
Today's Octordle answers, game #60, Friday, March 25
So, what are today's Octordle answers for game #60?
Drumroll please… they are:
As you can see from above, I failed to find today's Octordle answers. Is that because the game was difficult today? Maybe slightly, but mostly it was rank ineptitude.
In terms of the word selection, none are that obscure: according to Word and Phrase Info, DUSKY is 19,558th in the list of most frequently used English words and WHOOP is 18,514th, but the others are all more common.
SNUCK doesn't feature at all in that list, because it's a derivative of SNEAK — and it was SNUCK that caught me out today.
My strategy involves using one of the best Wordle start words, STARE, as my first guess, then playing DOING and CLUMP as my next two.
It usually gives me plenty of information right up front and indeed today I had all five letters for STORM including three greens, so that was easy. STACK was similarly straightforward, as should SNUCK have been. However, I made a terrible mistake and played both STUCK first, even though I knew the T couldn't be in the second position. I then compounded it by incorrectly guessing SHUCK.
That left me needing to get every remaining answer on the first guess, and though I nearly made it I guessed LOCAL rather than FOCAL on the final answer and so failed today's game.
On the plus side, I found today's Quordle answers and today's Worldle without any such problems…
Previous Octordle answers
If you're looking for a list of older Octordle answers, we can also help. Here's a list going back 20 games.
- Octordle #59: CHASM, SLEPT, DINGO, CAPER, SLING, MINER, BATHE, ARBOR
- Octordle #58: COMET, CHEAP, SCOWL, PALER, WELCH, STING, QUALM, BLEEP
- Octordle #57: PATSY, WATER, CRAMP, DROOL, ROGUE, MOVER, DELVE, DRESS
- Octordle #56: DUVET, STOCK, SINCE, PRUDE, STOOP, SURGE, POUND, GLAZE
- Octordle #55: AMITY, TRIBE, TIMER, SOOTH, FRAIL, RURAL, BLEEP, DISCO
- Octordle #54: SHORN, LEASE, SHIRT, INGOT, ENSUE, LATHE, TWICE, WOODY
- Octordle #53: HUMID, RIGOR, CRONE, TAFFY, LIEGE, SAVOR, OUTER, STALE
- Octordle #52: LADLE, MAJOR, SPURN, SIXTH, QUERY, RANDY, TRADE, FINER
- Octordle #51: WITTY, TONAL, MAFIA, SPERM, VISTA, TRASH, SHEAR, FAVOR
- Octordle #50: BLITZ, ELECT, STYLE, GLINT, MEDIC, ROUGH, SLAIN, ERODE
- Octordle #49: WINCE, PURGE, CINCH, HOIST, SEPIA, EVENT, EXTOL, PIETY
- Octordle #48: PUPPY, POWER, LOBBY, HOWDY, STORY, SLUNG, ARBOR, PLANT
- Octordle #47: TYING, PIGGY, COMMA, YEARN, CLEFT, RAZOR, QUEER, EVADE
- Octordle #46: ERASE, GAMER, RATTY, ALTAR, QUARK, MOODY, LIMBO, FLESH
- Octordle #45: BOWEL, ABOUT, WOKEN, FIGHT, THONG, FROST, BIDDY, SPIEL
- Octordle #44: PUPIL, SNARL, BRAVO, BEACH, CHILD, SONAR, PATSY, SPEED
- Octordle #43: SWEAR, SKULK, CROUP, WHACK, BELOW, SMILE, ALLOW, LEGAL
- Octordle #42: UNDUE, SERIF, NICER, PIANO, PHONY, AUDIO, MODEM, AMBLE
- Octordle #41: BUTTE, LOOPY, CRANE, MOIST, RECUR, YACHT, BAKER, TRACK
- Octordle #40: PUBIC, GRAFT, STAVE, PRAWN, PAGAN, SLUSH, GAYER, WASTE
What is a good Octordle strategy?
Don't look at me — I've only been playing for a few weeks! But I'll happily give you my theories as to the best ways to beat Octordle.
You're going to want one of the best Wordle start words. But because you have 13 guesses here rather than just six, you might even want to try multiple starter words.
Here's my reasoning: with eight answers needed and 13 guesses, you have five 'spare' guesses. If you use up three of those with distinct starter words (i.e. ones which share none of the same letters), you'd already have tried 15 out of the 26 letters in the alphabet, and you'd still have several spare guesses left.
I go with STARE, DOING and CLUMP for my first three, which uses all five vowels and 10 of the most common consonants. In my (limited) experience, that typically gives me at least a couple of yellow letters in each word by the end of the third go.
That's usually enough information for me to then start guessing the Octordles, beginning with the ones that I already have most information about. Getting a few words correct will usually reveal a few more letters and leave you with only one or two harder words to guess at the end.
Or at least that's the theory — in practice, it depends a lot on what the answers are on a given day. Plus, I reserve the right to completely rewrite this section if it turns out there's a better way to approach it…
What else should I know about Octordle?
Like Quordle, Octordle is one of the clones born out of Wordle's astonishing success.
As with the original, it's played online, for free, with the main difference being that you complete eight puzzles at once rather than one. But the rules are the same: correct letters turn green, letters in the wrong place turn yellow and letters that aren't used at all turn gray.
There's only set puzzle per day (of course), but as with Quordle there's a practice mode. There's no dark mode, though, and no stats — so know way to prove to others that you have an impressive streak. You can share results, but this merely works by copying the redacted version of the answers to the clipboard, rather than linking directly to social media platforms.
If Octordle is too tough for you, you might prefer something in our list of the best Wordle alternatives, but if you want an even more stressful test then we'd recommend Squabble. We also like the geography-based Wordle clone Worldle, the Star Wars-themed SWordle and the math-based Mathler, among others.
But the original is still the best, so don't forget to also check our the best Wordle start words and to look at today's Wordle answer if you won't get a chance to play.