Given that Quordle is like Wordle but a lot harder, there's no shame if you're searching for the daily Quordle answers for game #197. Or rather 'answers' plural, as Quordle has four solutions to find each day.
If you've not played it yet, you should — it offers four times the fun of the original viral word game. But it's arguably more than four times as difficult, as you only have nine guesses to find the quartet of words. (Some days Wordle is harder of course — although today's Wordle answer is not too bad.)
Like Wordle, it also resets each day, so if you miss one game you'll have no way of knowing what the previous daily Quordle answers were. Well, unless you bookmark this page, in which case you'll be able to check today's Quordle answers at your leisure, as I'll be updating it each morning.
But be warned: spoilers lie ahead for game #197, so only read on if you want to know today's Quordle answers! And please don't use this page to cheat and pretend to others that you got it right when you didn't really. That would be a misuse of my hard work.
Today's Quordle hints, game #197, Tuesday, August 9
Before I get on to today's Quordle answers, I'll give you a few hints to guide you in the right direction. I've got three starter clues for you, then one big hint at the end. And after that I'll tell you the answers, promise.
So, here are your starter clues:
- Only three vowels are used*
- Three of the answers contain repeated letters
- One of the answers contains no vowels*
* By vowel I'm meaning A, E, I, O, U. There are other letters that are sometimes considered to be vowels, depending on how they are used.
The daily Quordle answers for game #197 are pretty tough, so here's another clue to give you an advantage with one of them: One of today's Quordle answers is a blended food.
Sill stuck? Then let's move on to the answers.
Today's Quordle answers, game #197, Tuesday, August 9
So, what are today's Quordle answers for game #197?
I won't make you wait any longer — here you go:
The daily Quordle answers for game #197 are a pretty tough bunch all round. There's a repeated K in KNOCK, a repeated E in PUREE and a repeated Y in DRYLY — a word that also has none of the 'standard' vowels, of A, E, I, O and U.
That said, Quordle is never exactly easy, so you'll want a good strategy to help you solve it. My approach involves playing three set words at the outset in order to eliminate or confirm as many common letters as possible. Until now, I've always started by playing one of the best Wordle start words, in my case STARE, then following that up with DOILY and PUNCH.
However, I've not had great results with that recently, so yesterday I switched the letters and played ORATE, DINGY, CLUBS. This worked nicely first time round, but wasn't quite so helpful today, giving me four letters in either green or yellow for one puzzle and three for the other three.
The first puzzle, in the top left, was pretty easy as I already had three greens, DR--Y, plus a yellow L; DRYLY was the answer. In the bottom right, I had green E at the end, plus yellow R and R. This was harder, but REVUE fit, so I played that. Unfortunately, that was wrong, but I now had enough info to find PUREE next.
The P in PUREE also gave me a yellow P in the top right, to go with a green A in the middle plus yellow S and N. SPANK worked here. And similarly, the K in SPANK gave me a K at the end of the final answer, in the bottom left; the answer here was KNOCK.
As a result, I completed the daily Quordle with one guess remaining. Hopefully you all solved it too.
Previous Quordle answers
If you're looking for a list of older Quordle answers, we can also help. Here's a list going back 20 games.
- Quordle #196: CLIMB, WRIST, LEERY, PRONE
- Quordle #195: KNAVE, NEEDY, SKILL, GLOVE
- Quordle #194: MERRY, KNOCK, SHOVE, USUAL
- Quordle #193: AROMA, FIFTH, DRIVE, YEAST
- Quordle #192: FLUKE, VINYL, QUELL, TAKEN
- Quordle #191: CREST, PRIZE, MONTH, LEAST
- Quordle #190: REFIT, FAINT, OVERT, KAYAK
- Quordle #189: CLOUD, THORN, REHAB, WHINE
- Quordle #188: FIELD, WOKEN, BROWN, OVARY
- Quordle #187: OPIUM, CHOCK, HORDE, CYNIC
- Quordle #186: SLUSH, YIELD, REVUE, REPEL
- Quordle #185: FUZZY, PLIER, AWAKE, RESET
- Quordle #184: ELUDE, ELFIN, WRECK, CANAL
- Quordle #183: PLANK, SALSA, FRANK, FORGE
- Quordle #182: VALUE, DEBIT, LOUSY, GRATE
- Quordle #181: DITTY, CHUTE, SIEVE, ADAPT
- Quordle #180: OZONE, NINJA, QUITE, AWARD
- Quordle #179: CROOK, THREW, SUAVE, BEGIN
- Quordle #178: MUSIC, BUNNY, GODLY, BANAL
- Quordle #177: BUGLE, ASHEN, TRAIT, AMISS
What else should I know about Quordle?
Quordle is one of the many Wordle clones to have arrived in the wake of Wordle's huge success. It's essentially the same game, but you play four versions of it simultaneously and have nine attempts to guess all the answers.
The letters behave as they do in Wordle, turning green if they're in the right place, yellow if they're in the word but in the wrong location, and gray if they're not included in the answer at all.
A nice extra is that though there's only set puzzle per day, a practice mode is also included. And you might well need it, because it's pretty difficult.