Memorial Day is the unofficial start to the summer season. It's also a great time to purchase big-ticket items. Mattresses, 4K TVs, and kitchen appliances are just a few items that tend to see dramatic price cuts during the holiday. Currently, we're seeing Memorial Day sales that run the gamut from $100 to $1,000 off.
However, not all Memorial Day deals are worth your time. And with Prime Day deals expected to happen in June, you might be wondering what items you should buy on Memorial Day and which items are worth skipping. After all, the summer months are filled with other sales, like 4th of July. So we’ve created a list of must-shop items for Memorial Day. These are items that will not be significantly cheaper on Prime Day or 4th of July.
While it’s true that mattress manufacturers offer deals throughout the year, today's Memorial Day mattress sales are the best of the year. In fact, many are on par — if not better than — the deals we saw during Black Friday. Memorial Day is the perfect time to upgrade to a new mattress. Currently, every mattress retailer is offering its official Memorial Day discounts. Nectar, Saatva, and Tempur-Pedic are among the best sales to take advantage of now as these sales will last though June, which means the chances of them offering a new discount on Memorial Day are pretty slim.
TV deals are easy to find any time of the year. However, Memorial Day TV sales are roughly $200 to $500 cheaper than your typical TV sale. Retailers are using the holiday to offer deep discounts on premium TVs, such as OLED TVs and QLED TVs. Keep in mind that Prime Day TV deals also offer record-low prices, but Prime Day sales focus on Amazon’s own Fire TVs. If you have your heart set on a Fire TV, by all means wait for Prime Day. However, if you want a premium TV — Memorial Day will likely offer better discounts.
From Instant Pots to air fryers, Memorial Day is a great time for home chefs to expand their arsenal of kitchen appliances. Retailers like Home Depot (opens in new tab), Amazon (opens in new tab), and Best Buy (opens in new tab) will offer epic price lows on a wide variety of kitchen appliances. In previous years, we’ve seen KitchenAid mixers up to 50% off, whereas many Instant Pots and Ninja Foodi pressure cookers have seen discounts that slash from $30 to $50 off.
Memorial Day is an excellent opportunity to refurnish your home or backyard. Multiple retailers are expected to offer furniture and home decor deals. Overstock (opens in new tab), Wayfair (opens in new tab), and Home Depot (opens in new tab) are just a handful of stores that are offering deep discounts on everything from patio furniture to outdoor lighting.
The reason you’ll want to buy these items on Memorial Day versus later in the season is simply because Memorial Day offers the lowest prices of the season. For instance, outside of Memorial Day, the next best time for patio furniture deals is Labor Day. However, by then it’s the end of the season, so you may not get the most from your purchase. In terms of the deals themselves, look for sitewide discounts from Overstock, Wayfair, and Amazon.
Camping and outdoor gear
As the unofficial start of summer, Memorial Day is a prime opportunity to score deals on outdoor gear. We predict this year’s deals will be especially noteworthy as the nation slowly emerges from lockdown and weekend/outdoor getaways become the norm.
We're seeing discounts on athletic apparel, camping gear, hiking gear, bikes, and outdoor fitness gear. Retailers to keep an eye out for include REI (opens in new tab), Backcountry (opens in new tab), EMS (opens in new tab), and Amazon (opens in new tab). To be fair, many of these items will be on sale again during Prime Day. However, it’s unlikely prices will be significantly cheaper than on Memorial Day.
Shop today's best holiday deals
- Adidas: up to 50% off shoes, loungewear, and apparel (opens in new tab)
- Alexa smart devices: deals from $19 @ Amazon (opens in new tab)
- Alienware: extra 12% off via "SAVE12" (opens in new tab)
- Amerisleep: 30% off any mattress (opens in new tab)
- Apple Watch 6 (GPS): was $399 now $329 @ Amazon (opens in new tab)
- AT&T: up to $700 off iPhone 12 or Galaxy S21 (opens in new tab)
- Backcountry: up to 65% off yoga apparel (opens in new tab)
- Bear Mattress: 25% off everything via "MD25" (opens in new tab)
- Beautyrest: up to $300 off select mattresses (opens in new tab)
- Best Buy: TV sales from $69 (opens in new tab)
- Cocoon by Sealy: up to 35% off mattresses + free gift (opens in new tab)
- Dell: up to $500 off Dell laptops (opens in new tab)
- EMS: 75% off all outdoor apparel (opens in new tab)
- Expedia: cabin retreats from $99/night (opens in new tab)
- Home Depot: up to 50% off power tools (opens in new tab)
- Hotels.com: up to 20% off hotels in NYC, Vegas, more (opens in new tab)
- iPad Pro 2021: up to $200 off w/ trade-in @ Verizon (opens in new tab)
- iRobot: up to $450 off Roomba vacuums (opens in new tab)
- HP: up to $389 off select laptops (opens in new tab)
- jetBlue: up to $700 off flight/hotel packages (opens in new tab)
- Lego: up to 20% off toys and LEGO sets (opens in new tab)
- Lenovo: up to 65% off all laptops (opens in new tab)
- Lowe's: up to 20% off patio sets and accessories (opens in new tab)
- Nectar Sleep: $399 gift bundle w/ every purchase (opens in new tab)
- Nike: up to 40% off sneakers, running gear, more (opens in new tab)
- Overstock: up to 70% off sitewide (opens in new tab)
- Purple: up to $350 off all Purple mattresses (opens in new tab)
- REI: up to 50% off hiking/camping gear (opens in new tab)
- Rosetta Stone: 12 months unlimited for $7.99/month (opens in new tab)
- Saatva: spend $1,000, get $200 off (opens in new tab)
- Serta: up to $1,000 off mattress bundles (opens in new tab)
- Southwest: one-way flights from $49 (opens in new tab)
- Target: spend $75 on women's apparel, get same-day shipping (opens in new tab)
- Tempur-Pedic: up to $500 off mattresses + adjustable bases (opens in new tab)
- Tuft & Needle: 20% off sitewide (opens in new tab)
- Verizon: up to $1,000 off any 5G phone w/ trade-in (opens in new tab)
- Walmart: summer patio furniture/decor from $12 (opens in new tab)
- Wayfair: up to 50% off sitewide (opens in new tab)
- Zappos: sales under $50 (opens in new tab)