22 Free Apps for New Windows Users

22 Free Apps for New Windows Users
Turning Your Home PC into Home Base

While smartphones and tablets may have the edge on portability, there's still nothing (yet) that beats the raw power, configurability, and wealth of options available to a desktop user. Still, taking advantage of all the power that a desktop can bring takes some learning, a little patience, and a good helping of the right apps to make the most out of your desktop machine. You supply the patience, and we'll help out with a list of apps for new users.

Display 13 Comments.
Top Comments
    wildkitten , December 26, 2012 3:06 PM
Other Comments
    wildkitten , December 26, 2012 3:06 PM
    netyam , December 26, 2012 10:10 PM
    LibreOffice screenshot is running ubuntu :D
    sykozis , February 3, 2013 12:34 PM
    Am I the only one that find most of those "apps" to use useless to the majority of users?
    Anonymous , February 3, 2013 2:03 PM
    Actually sykozis, I already have at least half of them on my system. Some I have been using for years.
    The "majority" of PC users, as you say, won't be in Tom's Guide or any other tech blog to begin with. But, the "majority" of Tom's Guide readers would probably be interested in some, especially new readers looking for free PC programs.
    It's not like Tom suggested you had to take 'em all!
    krowbar , February 3, 2013 2:47 PM
    lol chrome? And the only mention of FireFox was a move from it? I thought by now everyone would have learned and moved away from google's ecosystem.
    Anonymous , February 3, 2013 3:15 PM
    These aren't apps! Skype has an app for windows 8. None of the others do. these are applications.
    Onus , February 3, 2013 4:50 PM
    7Zip download link is broken.
    nukemaster , February 3, 2013 5:58 PM
    WINAMP!!!!!!
    Been using it for YEARS.

VLC is also very good.

Chrome vs Firefox is up to user opinion more then anything.

Avast is also good.

I have used EaseUS todo backup and it worked out well.

Defraggler is another on I have been using for my HDDs

All in all, I have used most(bust still not all) of the programs listed here. :)
    alextheblue , February 3, 2013 6:06 PM
    I question AV-Test's scoring system. Basically it looks like they arbitrarily hand out scores based on how much money you give them (or fail to give them). Avast! is pretty decent though, for the most part. I just mean to say that MSE has been slammed by AV-Test and unfairly so.
    Anonymous , February 3, 2013 9:55 PM
    Paint.Net
    killerclick , February 3, 2013 10:53 PM
    I like how there are no Metro apps in this list.
    krowbar , February 4, 2013 4:23 PM
    Might be a lil late to post this now, but there is a website that reviews all programs (applications) that are free. Check out
    Murissokah , February 4, 2013 5:04 PM
    wildkittenWhen did programs on the PC start being called apps? I know we have always called programs applications as well, but app name for programs on phones and tablets came about because they were small, lightweight versions of programs.

I agree with you, it's sounds unprofessional to call pograms "apps". But I guess since the OS developer thinks your PC should be a big phone it only makes sense.