BlackBerry 7 will arrive on the Bold 9900 and 9930 smartphones this summer.
Monday in a heap of press releases (see below), Research in Motion revealed the upcoming BlackBerry 7 operating system which will come packed on the BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 smartphones slated to hit the market this summer.
RIM also revealed that BlackBerry 7 will provide means for users to keep personal and corporate content separate on the device thanks to the integration of BlackBery Balance. This means users can check their personal email, access Twitter and Facebook, play games, interact with multimedia and install other non-corporate apps "while satisfying the very real need for corporate data to be highly secure and manageable."
"BlackBerry Balance works in conjunction with BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.3, which provides a number of unique IT policy controls such as wiping only corporate data from the handset or blocking work related content and apps from being copied or forwarded to personal contacts," the company added.
In addition to BlackBerry Balance, the new OS will also offer voice-activated search and the full version of Docs to Go with all the "premium" features enabled right out-of-the-box. This mobile office suite contains a native PDF viewer and apps for creating/modifying Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly on the smartphone.
As for the phones playing host to the new OS, the Bold 9900 and 9930 will be based on a platform featuring a 1.2 GHz processor, a Liquid Graphics touch screen, and support for high-speed 4G/HSPA+ wide area wireless networks. The phones will also include a magnetometer, Wikitude, support for 720p HD video recording and playback, and a 10.5-mm form factor. The actual list of specs is located below.
- 115 x 66 x 10.5 mm, approximately 130 g
- 2.8-inch capacitive touch screen display – VGA (64 0x 480), 287 dpi resolution
- Ultra-easy QWERTY keyboard, optical trackpad
- 1.2 GHz Processor, 768 MB RAM
- 8 GB on-board memory, plus microSD slot supporting up to 32 GB cards
- NFC technology
- 5.0 MP camera, supports 720p HD video recording
- Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), Digital Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity Sensor
- Built-in GPS / aGPS
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi - 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 802.11 a/n at 5 GHz
- Bluetooth 2.1+EDR support
- Wireless Network support - 9900: Tri-Band HSPA+, Quad-Band GSM/EDGE; 9930: Dual-Band CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A, Dual-Band HSPA+, Quad-Band GSM/EDGE
- 1230 mAh removable, rechargeable battery
- BlackBerry 7 OS
Here are additional announcements made by RIM on Monday:
- RIM Announces New Facebook App for BlackBerry PlayBook
- RIM Announces New Video Chat Application for the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet
- RIM Announces Multi-Platform BlackBerry Enterprise Solution for Smartphones and Tablets
- RIM Launches BlackBerry Balance for Work-Life Balance on BlackBerry
- RIM Announces BlackBerry Mobile Voice System 5 with Voice Over Wi-Fi Calling for Avaya and Legacy Nortel Communications Systems