Opera’s Secrets Unlocked: 16 Tips and Tricks

Opera’s Secrets Unlocked: 16 Tips and Tricks
Opera Could be Your Favorite Browser

Opera is an excellent browser, loved by those who use it. It's not only a Web browser, but an entire Internet suite, known for offering more features than you could possibly know what to do with. It was among the first to include tabbed browsing and advanced bookmarks and search bars, but the browser also bundles its own chat and e-mail client, as well as additional features few other browsers have, like mouse gestures and file sharing.

Despite its many features, Opera has a meager market share, similar to Apple's Safari--even though many people who try it out quickly become devout fans. If you've never tried Opera, now is a great time. Version 10.5 was released on March 2 of this year, and it brought some unique features like standalone widgets and new Javascript engine for extreme speed. Our list of tips and tricks will help you get the most out of all of the features Opera offers.

LaloFG , May 12, 2010 8:07 PM
    Hardly a secrets, they're more like tips. And yes, once time that you try opera, you never get leave anymore.

(The Best browser in the know Universe :D )

P.D. Sorry, I'm learning english :S
    aaron686 , May 12, 2010 11:29 PM
    Besides the functionality, all web browsers are going in the same direction, in design aspect. From the basic layout to the position of the tabs, Chrome, Opera soon to be,Firefox....and of course Internet Explorer will come tugging along. What makes Opera different IMO is that they think independently and constantly bring new features to the user, not that other companies don't do this but Opera seems to "Get it".
    Syndil , May 12, 2010 11:59 PM
    Opera is simply the best. Started using Opera at version 3.2 and have never looked back. It's lightweight, it's intuitive, it's efficient, and it's 100% customizable. I never did like tabbed browsing, for example, so I have disabled tabs. Why have tabs when Windows provides tabs at the bottom of the screen (the taskbar)? Redundant and a waste of screen real estate. The one feature I couldn't live without is mouse gestures. I'd wager that even most Opera users have not tried mouse gestures. Try them! Much more efficient than clicking the back and forward arrows.
    2zao , May 13, 2010 12:02 AM
    Used Opera for years on my PC until about 6 months ago when i switched to Google Chrome

Opera Mini is still the best browser for cell phones, and the nice thing about using it on your PC and Phone is that you can sync your bookmarks...
    Marcus52 , May 13, 2010 3:16 PM
    ronanh , May 13, 2010 3:31 PM
    I've used Opera for years. Have tried all the others and always go back.
    asiaprime , May 13, 2010 3:48 PM
    Marcus52The one main reason I still use Firefox is Noscript. As far as I know, you still can't use it or anything similar on any non-Mozilla browser.

fyi: chrome has an extension for that now (I haven't tried it). I still use firefox for ietab, the chrome version is kind of buggy.

I'm still annoyed I'm stuck using ie6 to check for compatability when I design websites. stupid ~50% of browsers...

I'm going to try out opera :D  so far chrome is good for brute speed. maybe it'll be better.
    2zao , May 13, 2010 3:52 PM
    Chrome features a multi-process architecture and a strong policy sandbox that resists malware beautifully without needing the user to whitelist all the sites they visit.

But if you would like to use Noscript...

Google Chrome is working hard to add support for Noscript but trying to do so without actally slowing the browser down... but it is their intent to do so. I would be looking for it soon... maybe in Chrome 5? Though i would rather see it as a built in feature rather than having to add an extension to block flash/java

i dont know if Opera is doing so, for i have stopped reading a lot of the updated news about Opera
    2zao , May 13, 2010 3:58 PM
    i just looked at the options in Chrome 5 and one of them is to not allow sites to run JavaScript and not to allow sites to use plugins. I do not believe this was in Chrome 4 but its there now...

ive never actually used Noscript so if someone wants to try this out and tell whether it behaves similarly to Noscript would be great.
    Anonymous , May 13, 2010 8:07 PM
    narasimha_22 , May 14, 2010 11:47 AM
    fokpn
    Someguyperson , May 14, 2010 3:03 PM
    If only they could integrate half of these features into Opera Mini...
    quantumrand , May 14, 2010 8:23 PM
    BobT_KYWill Opera turbo improve flash performance on UNbuntu over that of Firefox and Chrome? Like to watch MLB.TV without jumpy or rather stuttering video.

Unfortunately, Flash content and animated images are not compressed, so you won't see any performance increase in video playback. Opera turbo is mostly intended to make up for the fact that most websites now take advantage of the fact that most people have broadband and can download a large page in seconds. For someone on dial-up or other slow connection, these large pages are a nightmare, and Opera Turbo makes a significant difference, allowing them to load up to 5 times faster.
    JohnnyLucky , May 15, 2010 9:15 AM
    I'll have to give Opera a try.
    arnweb , May 16, 2010 10:09 AM

In Opera browser press F12 Key and uncheck "Enable JavaScript", So no script will be executed.
    2zao , May 17, 2010 1:37 PM
    someguypersonIf only they could integrate half of these features into Opera Mini...

definitely agree!!!
    hellwig , May 18, 2010 7:24 PM
    I think another cool featuer in Opera 10.50 (at least I don't recall it before then) is the Inspect Element feature. Right click anywhere on a page and click Inspect Element, it will actually expand out the HTML and any CSS attributes applied. Wonder why your text doesn't look quite right? You can see which attributes it inheriting from which elements (and the final computed styles being applied). Way cool development feature.
    Anonymous , May 19, 2010 12:07 AM
    As a developer, Javasscript is pretty much the only way you can get a good user experience on complex interactive websites. Waiting for entire pages to load in response to user interaction is really limiting. I don't cotton much to paranoids that deny themselves any content formatted with javascript.

Opera 10.5 is the best version by far. It is amazingly speedy and unlike Chrome and Safari, the URL bar has a recently visited dropdown similar to Firefox, Internet Explorer.

I have been using Firefox and Opera more lately because IE is so slow and buggy these days. However IE has some better UI features that I miss in other browsers, such as the history / bookmarks bar on the left, the delete button is disabled for the tab that is not currently active, and the way downloaded files are saved to a folder you specify BEFORE each download. I can't stand the way all of the others do it by downloading to some random folder without asking first where to save it, requiring me to remember to move it to a better place later which I sometimes forget. I really don't care for download window either. Some of us are capable of managing our own files and putting them in the right places where we can find them, thank you.
    Anonymous , May 19, 2010 9:12 AM
    @Marcus52

Opera does NoScript just fine (no bloaty extension needed, it's built in).

F12, brings it up. (for site) Shift F12 for ALL sites.
    Anonymous , May 19, 2010 4:00 PM
    As a web designers I'd like to say that page 3 of this article is full of FAIL.