20 Video Game Easter Eggs and Where to Find Them

20 Video Game Easter Eggs and Where to Find Them
Egg Hunting

The tradition of the Easter Egg hunt where children search for decorated or candy eggs hidden throughout the house or garden has long ago made the leap from meatspace to cyberspace, with many game developers working in little "Easter Eggs" throughout their works. These include allusions to pop culture, favorite works, previews of future games, and running gags across entire series. Here are a few of our favorites, and feel free to add your own in the comments section below!

Display 12 Comments.
Top Comments
    slomo4sho , March 28, 2013 10:41 AM
    Your slideshow articles are horrid. Will you do away with this format already?
Other Comments
    slomo4sho , March 28, 2013 10:41 AM
    Your slideshow articles are horrid. Will you do away with this format already?
    T_T , March 28, 2013 11:23 AM
    In Daytona, on the Advanced track, if you turn your car around and then head into the tunnel, you'll see a sign that reads "Congratulations, you just lost your sponsor!" It's pretty funny.
    bemused_fred , March 29, 2013 1:45 PM
    More on that XCOM easter egg:

There is seed to create an Australian soldier called "Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw".
    zybch , March 29, 2013 3:15 PM
    Rebel Assault II. Enter the name of one of the actors in the level code thingy and get lots of bloopers and even stormtrooper chorus line videos.
    agnickolov , March 29, 2013 8:49 PM
    There were a lot of cross-advertisements within Sierra games - Space Quest, King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Quest For Glory, Police Quest, etc. That's probably how the practice appeared in LucasFilm/LucasArts games too (they were called LucasFilm before they changed the name to LucasArts).
    firefyte , March 30, 2013 3:40 PM
    I think the ultimate Easter egg from many many games is missing: Dopefish!

(Dopefish lives!)
    zybch , March 31, 2013 1:12 AM
    firefyteI think the ultimate Easter egg from many many games is missing: Dopefish!(Dopefish lives!)

I haven't seen the Dopefish since Quake3 Arena.
    agnickolov , April 1, 2013 12:00 AM
    Doom II has two secret levels. One of them (the first I think) is themed as a Nazi section of Hell. You get to relive the Wolfenstein 3D days. Hooray!
    philipjacobs , April 11, 2013 8:27 AM
    I was going to mention the Doom 2 levels also! But there is one that was really funny in Ultima 7. Outside the major city to the east is a Kilrathi Space ship. If you talk to the farmer he tells you about how he was attacked by a cat-thing that wanted to "Kill Wrathy". Then he says something like, I do not know who Wrathy is, but I sure wouldn't want to be him!
    philipjacobs , April 11, 2013 8:32 AM