If you like Netflix-style subscriptions but prefer books to television, Amazon's Kindle Unlimited is the service you've been waiting for.
In case you're not already a subscriber: Kindle Unlimited gives you access to more than a million books, magazines and audiobooks, all for a flat $10-per-month fee. However, for Black Friday, Amazon will do you one better: three months of Kindle Unlimited for a cool $0. It doesn't get much cheaper than "free."
Kindle Unlimited: was $10, now $0 @ Amazon
Kindle Unlimited is a subscription service that lets you access more than a million books, magazines and audiobooks on a variety of devices, for one flat monthly fee. On Black Friday, you can sign up for three months, absolutely free.View Deal
Just like the Amazon Video service, Kindle Unlimited doesn't give you access to absolutely everything in the Amazon library; it's a curated selection where titles rotate in and out over time. However, there are some truly excellent titles available, including "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling, "1984" by George Orwell, "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood and "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick — and that's just on the first page of search results.
Regarding the deal itself, it's pretty straightforward. You add Kindle Unlimited to your Amazon account, where you'll also have to add a payment method. The first three months won't cost anything, but after that, it will start auto-charging $10 per month. If you like Kindle Unlimited, then $10 is probably a fair trade-off. If you don't, remember to cancel it before three months elapse, otherwise you'll end up bargaining with an Amazon employee who's heard this sob story before.
Remember, too, that you don't need a Kindle e-reader to use Kindle Unlimited (although it's arguably the best way to read those ebooks). You can just as easily use a Kindle app on a mobile device or computer. In fact, if you're planning to read full-color magazines or listen to audiobooks via Bluetooth, a mobile phone might be an even better way to leverage the Kindle Unlimited subscription.
And if it doesn't work out, remember: Your local library also offers Kindle books, totally free of charge.
If you're looking for more great deals, be sure to bookmark our Black Friday hub for the latest savings as they pop up.
Black Friday: Quick links
- Adidas: Up to 50% off select apparel
- Alienware: Up to $550 off Alienware gaming desktops and laptops
- Amazon: New Black Friday deals every hour
- B&H Photo: Up to $500 off Canon, Nikon, and more
- Best Buy: Shop Black Friday now
- Chewy: Up to 60% off pet food and toys; BOGO select items
- Dell: Save up to 40% on XPS, monitors, desktops
- HP: Up to 63% off Envy, Spectre, and more laptops
- Lenovo: Up to 56% off ThinkPads
- Lowe's: Up to 60% off DeWalt, Dyson, Honeywell, GE, more
- Microsoft: $500 off Surface Book 2
- Mixbook: 45% off sitewide via "BF19"
- Newegg: Sales on components, graphics cards, SSDs
- Purple: Up to $400 off Purple mattresses
- Verizon: Free phone and 50% off activation fee when purchased online
- Walmart: Best deals you can get now
- Xfinity: $150 Prepaid Visa card with Internet + TV bundles