Sometimes you may want to let a friend or relative borrow your device, but don’t feel comfortable giving them complete access to your personal info and darkest secrets. Now, with Android 5.0 Lollipop, you don’t have too.
There are now four levels of access: Owner, User, Profile and Guest. Owner is much like the traditional admin account, giving the account complete control over the system and the ability to create and add more users. User are separate accounts that can install apps and save photos and videos without disturbing other users. Profiles are limited access accounts with settings and privileges set by the owner of the device – perfect for kids.
Guest mode is much akin to using a private or incognito window in a Web browser. Settings and history are saved temporarily, with the option of starting fresh or continuing from your last session every time you use the guest account.
Now that you know how it works, here’s how to set up a new account or profile on an Android 5.0 device.
1. Open the settings menu.
2. Select Users.
3. Tap "Add user or profile."
1. Swipe down from the top to open the notifications tray.
2. Tap the user icon in the top right corner to open up the quick settings menu.
3. Tap the user icon in the top right again to reveal the user menu.
When you're done, switching between users is a simple as selecting a new account from the drop down menu, with the owner also being able to delete accounts if necessary.
Visit the Tom's Guide Android Forums for even more information about Google's mobile OS and to chat with fellow Android users.
- How to Search for a Setting in Android 5.0
- How to Block Interruptions in Android 5.0
- How to Turn on Smart Lock in Android 5.0
- How to Turn on Battery Saver Mode in Android 5.0
- How to Hide Info on the Lock Screen in Android 5.0
- How to Stop Apps from Auto-updating in Android 5.0
- How to Turn on Color Blind Mode in Android 5.0
- How to Turn on High Contrast Mode in Android 5.0
- How to Increase Text Size in Android 5.0
- How to Set Google Now to Always On in Android 5.0