As time goes on and our work with technology only increases, the effects of bright screens and blue light are only becoming more well known. And in the vast majority of cases, people are finding that the less time you can spend in front of a bright screen, the better. Fortunately for Gmail users, Gmail dark mode is finally here to help.
Dark mode helps to reduce strain on your eyes. And in general, it makes for a more pleasing viewing experience at night, when strain from bright lights might be at its worst.
To help folks looking for dark mode, Google’s Gmail dark mode offers a simple way to turn on the feature and give your eyes a rest. So, whether you want to turn on dark mode on your laptop or Android phone, you can. And luckily, the process is quite simple.
Here’s how to turn on Gmail dark mode.
Turn on Gmail dark mode in your browser
1. After logging in to your Gmail account in the browser, click on the Gears icon at the top-right of the screen and choose “Themes.”
2. Scroll down in that window and click on the “Dark” black box. Your theme will change to Dark Mode. If you like what you see, click on the Save button and you’re all set.
Turn on Gmail dark mode on Android
Dark Mode for Gmail on Android devices is only available on devices running Android 10. So, if you’re running Android Pie or earlier, you’re out of luck.
On Android 10 devices, you can turn on Dark Mode by dong the following:
1. Click on the Hamburger icon at the top-left of the Gmail app.
2. Scroll down to Settings and choose “General Settings.
3. Choose “dark” under the Gmail theme settings. Gmail will then turn to dark mode.
Turn on Gmail dark mode on iOS
Unfortunately, Google’s Gmail app on iOS doesn’t offer support for dark mode just yet. Eventually, it’ll be available and should be turned on automatically if you’ve turned on dark mode across the operating system in iOS 13. You also should be able to turn it on by clicking the Hamburger icon at the top-left of the app, choosing Settings, and checking your theme to dark mode.
More Gmail tips
- How to use Gmail — essential tips and tricks
- How to create a new Gmail account
- How to delete your Gmail account
- How to log out of Gmail
- How to change your name in Gmail
- How to block emails in Gmail
- How to recall email in Gmail
- How to mark all as read in Gmail
- How to delete all emails in Gmail
- How to create folders in Gmail
- How to empty trash in Gmail
- How to change your password in Gmail
- How to archive email in Gmail
- How to activate Gmail dark mode
- How to turn on Gmail's two-factor authentication on your desktop
- How to set up Gmail two-factor authentication (2FA) on your phone