I prefer owning movies outright, so I'm waiting for Rise of Skywalker on Blu-ray. Yes, it will be on Disney Plus, but I'd rather own than rent. And with Movies Anywhere, you get a digital copy with many Blu-ray purchases.
And thankfully we don't have to wait much longer: Star Wars.com just announced that The Rise of Skywalker Blu-rays come out on March 31. That's two weeks after the digital download (also Movies Anywhere compatible, mind you) release date of March 17. The Disney Plus date is TBA.
- Disney Plus: Everything you need to know
- How to watch the Star Wars movies in order
- Plus: When will Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker be on digital?
The Rise of Skywalker Blu-ray release special features
Oh and it wouldn't be a big Star Wars release if there weren't a ton of special features. Annoyingly, the digital version is getting one more feature than its Blu-ray counter part: a piece called The Maestro’s Finale that features composer John Williams talking about his history working on the Star Wars saga, with a focus on scoring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
- The Skywalker Legacy – The story lives forever in this feature-length documentary that charts the making of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
- Pasaana Pursuit: Creating the Speeder Chase – Dive into the making of the movie’s epic landspeeder chase and discover how this spectacular sequence was brought to the screen.
- Aliens in the Desert – See what it took to create the Pasaana desert scenes, from the sheer scale and complexity of the shoot to its colorful details.
- D-O: Key to the Past – Explore the ship that connects Rey to the mystery of her missing parents and get to know the galaxy’s newest, irresistible droid.
- Warwick & Son – Warwick Davis, who played Wicket in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, dons the Ewok costume once more; this time joined by his son Harrison.
- Cast of Creatures – The team behind the film’s memorable creatures reveal the puppetry, makeup, prosthetics and digital magic that bring them to life!