Knowing how to download videos from Twitter is essential if you want to save that fascinating bit of content you've just seen for posterity.
While it started as just a way of quickly sharing 140-character messages (later doubled to 280), nowadays Twitter is every bit as media rich as Facebook. Grabbing a photo from the site is simple enough, but the company doesn’t make it as easy to download videos.
Don’t worry: saving videos from Twitter is possible, it just takes a few extra steps. Whether you’re on a desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone, there are ways of downloading that Twitter video for posterity. Here are your options.
- How to download from SoundCloud
- How to post on instagram from PC or Mac
- Plus: Paying for tweets? New Twitter Super Follows explained
How to download videos from Twitter via Chrome, Safari, Edge or any other web browser
1. First, you need to find a Twitter video to download, so head to Twitter.com in your browser of choice.
2: Find a video to download. Note that people sometimes embed YouTube videos in Twitter, and downloading them is a different process. (Check out our guide for how to download videos from YouTube here.) Only try this on clips without a YouTube logo, such as this one of us engaging the Motorola Razr’s retro mode.
Want to see the coolest thing about the Motorola Razr? pic.twitter.com/lEHdCdlYIqFebruary 10, 2020
3. Click on the date below the video, and you’ll be taken to the URL of the tweet in question. Copy it from your address bar.
4. Our pick of the myriad Twitter video download sites is SaveTweetVid because, unlike some of its rivals, it doesn’t bombard you with popups. So head to www.savetweetvid.com
5. Paste the URL into the white text box, and press ‘download’.
6. Pick the video quality you want. The higher the quality, the larger the file size.
7. The video will appear on the next page. Right click it, and press “Save video as” to save it to your computer.
How to download videos from Twitter to an iPhone or iPad
Downloading Twitter videos on iOS is a bit more fiddly than using a desktop or laptop, but it’s still pretty straightforward when you know how.
1. First you need to download a free app from the Apple App Store. It’s called Documents: Files, PFD, Browser and it’s made by a company called Readdle Inc.
2. With that downloaded, go to the official Twitter app and find the video you want to save.
3. Along the bottom of the tweet, there will be four icons. Tap the one on the far right — it has an arrow pointing upwards out of a tray.
4. Select “Copy Link”.
5. Now leave Twitter and open your new Documents app. Press the blue compass logo to open the browser — it’s on the bottom right on iPhone, or in the panel on the left on iPad.
6. In the browser, enter the URL www.twdown.net into the address bar.
7. Paste the URL of the tweet you copied earlier into the box on site, and then pick the video quality you want.
8. Give the file a more memorable name, and then press “done”.
How to download videos from Twitter to an Android phone or tablet
Thankfully, the way to download Twitter videos on Android is far more streamlined.
1. Install the Download Twitter Videos app to your phone or tablet.
2. Open the video you want to download in the official Twitter app, and press the "Share" button.
3. Press “Share via” and then scroll down the apps until you see the Download Twitter Videos icon. Tap it.
4. Tap the video quality you want, and the clip will be saved. And that's it — you’re done.