The Meta Quest 2 (formerly known as the Oculus Quest 2) is at the top of our list for the best VR headsets for its great design, ease of use, and large library of games that you can get right on the headset itself. However, you can get even more out of it if you connect your Meta Quest 2 to a PC; that way, you can use it to play games on your PC and more.
There are two ways to connect your Meta Quest 2 to a PC; we’ll show you how to do both.
How to connect Meta Quest 2 to a PC: System requirements
To use the Meta Quest 2 with your PC, Meta recommends you have a system running Windows 10 or Windows 11 with an Intel i5-4590 / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater and at least 8GB of RAM. Most Nvidia GPUs from the 970-series and higher are compatible, as are AMD 400-series and higher GPUS. However, some older Nvidia and AMD GPUs are not compatible. For a complete list, you can check the Meta Quest Link compatibility requirements (opens in new tab).
How to connect Meta Quest 2 to a PC: Software
Before you start either method, you’ll have to download the Meta Quest app to your PC. Go to oculus.com/setup (opens in new tab) and click on the link that says “Download Software.”
There are separate links below for the Quest 2, Rift S, the original Oculus, the Oculus Go and the Rift. Be sure to select the correct one.
To use the software, you'll have to register with Meta; you can do so using a Facebook account or your email address.
How to connect your Meta Quest 2 to a PC via Link
This is perhaps the easiest way to connect your Meta Quest 2 to a PC, but it means you’ll be tethered to your computer and won’t be able to move around as freely. For this, you’ll need a USB-C cable. If your PC has a USB-C port, you can use a USB-C to USB-C cable; otherwise, you’ll need a USB-C to USB-A cable. Meta sells a 16-foot Oculus Link cable for $79, but any USB-C cable should work; you’ll want one that’s plenty long, though. You can find plenty on Amazon for around $20 (opens in new tab).
1. Make sure your Meta Quest 2 is turned on. In the Meta Quest app, select Devices, and then Add Headset.
2. Select Quest 2.
3. Select Link (Cable) as the connection method.
4. Plug one end of the cable into your Meta Quest 2 headset, and the other end of the cable into your PC.
5. In the Meta Quest app, press Continue. On the screen that appears next, you can choose to test your cable connection, or press Continue.
Your Meta Quest 2 is now connected to your PC.
How to connect your Meta Quest 2 to a PC via Air Link
This process involves a few more steps, but it also allows you to use your Meta Quest 2 untethered from your PC.
1. Make sure that both your Quest 2 and your PC are on the same Wi-Fi network; Meta advises that they should be connected to a 5GHz network.
2. In the Meta Quest app on your PC, select Devices, then Add Headset.
3. Select Meta Quest 2, and then select Air Link (Wireless) as your connection method.
4. Put on your headset. Open Quick Settings by hovering over and selecting the clock on the left side of the navigation bar.
5. Press the gear icon in the upper right corner of the window that appears to open the full Settings menu.
6. Select the System box.
7. Look for Quest Link, and toggle it On. A window will appear showing all PCs on your network with Air Link available. Select your PC.
8. A pairing code will appear in your Meta Quest 2. Take off the headset and make sure it matches the code that appears on your PC’s screen.
9. Put the headset back on, and complete the pairing process.
You should be now connected. From here, you can mirror your PC’s display onto the Meta Quest 2, which will let you play any VR-compatible games, such as Microsoft Flight Simulator, Half-Life: Alyx, and Star Wars: Squadrons.
In this mode, you can also control your PC through the headset and its controllers; you can launch apps, open windows — anything you could do with your PC's keyboard and mouse, though typing is a bit trickier.
If you want others to see what you’re playing, check out our guide on how to cast the Meta Quest 2 to a TV. We also have guides on the best Meta Quest 2 accessories, as well as the best Meta Quest 2 games.
- Meta Quest Pro hands-on: The future of the metaverse is here for $1,500
- I just tried Liteboxer VR for Meta Quest 2 — and wow
- Logitech just gave Meta Quest 2 the ultimate upgrade — and it slides right on
- Best Meta Quest 2 cases