Like all consumer electronics, your AirPods can go wonky. One time, my AirPods seemed to disconnect from each other and instead pair directly (and separately) to my iPhone. I had to manually connect them in my Bluetooth settings to listen to music. This isn’t supposed to happen, so the only solution was to reset them.
Resetting AirPods is pretty simple.
1. Put your AirPods in their charging case and close the lid.
2. Disconnect your AirPods from your iPhone under Settings > Bluetooth > AirPods > Forget this device.
3. Open the charging case lid.
4. Press the white button on the back of the charging case until the interior light starts flashing white.
5. Hold the AirPods near the iPhone you want to pair them to and watch them magically reconnect.