The last things any Facebook user wants is to have his or her account taken over by someone else. Whether it happens because you forgot to log out of a device, or because someone figured out your password, the potential damage could be very significant.
Thankfully, Facebook has made a relatively new feature called Security Center, which helps users lock down their accounts, available to all members. However, the directions can be a bit confusing.
How to Use Facebook Security Checkup
1. Log into Facebook and browse to www.facebook.com/help/securitycheckup.
2. Click Start Security Checkup.
3. Select Review Logins in the Unused Apps section.
4. Uncheck the boxes next to the apps you want to stay logged into -- NOT those to you want to log out of.
5. Click the Log Out button. This logs you out of the apps that are still checked.
6. Click Turn On Alerts Under the Login Alerts section, or simply click the white space near it.
7. Uncheck boxes next to the login-alert options you do NOT want to use.
8. Click the white space anywhere in that section to confirm your changes. Do NOT click Turn Off Alerts.
9. Select Turn Off Alerts ONLY if you want to turn off all alerts.
10. Select Read Password Tips in the Protect Your Password section.
11. Select Change Password if your password is weak, easy to guess or used elsewhere.
12. Type in your existing password, then enter a new, stronger password if you're changing your password.
13. Click Save.
Congratulations, you've passed your Security Checkup!
- Best Antivirus Protection for PC, Mac and Android
- Top-Rated Wireless Home Security Cameras
- What to Do If Your Social Security Number Is Stolen
Henry T. Casey is a staff writer at Tom’s Guide covering security and music. You can find him at local concerts or tinkering with his cold-brew coffee process. You can follow him at @henrytcasey on Twitter.
Get the BEST of Tom’s Guide daily right in your inbox: Sign up now!
Upgrade your life with the Tom’s Guide newsletter. Subscribe now for a daily dose of the biggest tech news, lifestyle hacks and hottest deals. Elevate your everyday with our curated analysis and be the first to know about cutting-edge gadgets.
Henry is a managing editor at Tom’s Guide covering streaming media, laptops and all things Apple, reviewing devices and services for the past seven years. Prior to joining Tom's Guide, he reviewed software and hardware for TechRadar Pro, and interviewed artists for Patek Philippe International Magazine. He's also covered the wild world of professional wrestling for Cageside Seats, interviewing athletes and other industry veterans.