Just one day after its release in North America, Microsoft's new Kinect motion sensing device for the Xbox 360 is already wreaking havoc in living rooms nationwide--or at least, in the living room of one Phil Villarreal. According to his blog posted on Friday, Kinect has claimed its first TV kill thanks to the thrashing of a self-proclaimed "moron."
What a way to make your mark in history.
"A public service announcement," he addressed in his blog. "Do not under any circumstances play Kinect Sports Volleyball at 1:30am while standing under a ceiling fan with a dangling chain for a light switch. You could conceivably spike it into your year-old amazing TV, causing it to die with a rainbow LCD teardrop dripping down from the impact wound."
"Plus you'll lose the match by forfeit," he added.
The incident is reminiscent of the early days of the Nintendo Wii. Gamers lost control of the Wii Remote and threw it out the window, into TV sets, and at other gamers. Nintendo helped reduce the problem by providing a stronger strap and the Wii Remote Jacket, but the efforts didn't completely eradicate black eyes and damaged appliances caused by hard-headed, overzealous gamers.
But with the release of Microsoft's controller-free Kinect, we assumed we could sleep well at night knowing flying Wii Remotes would not be a part of the big picture. Honestly, flying ceiling fan chains weren't even a part of the equation. Who knew?