Add a Widget to Your Lock Screen
One of the things that Google’s Android OS has over Apple’s iOS is its support for widgets. With Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, users can even add widgets to their device’s lock screen and see important notifications at a glance. However, on Samsung’s Galaxy S4, the phone-maker’s TouchWiz interface makes enabling this feature a little different than on stock Android. Samsung also allows you to add a favorite apps widget for quick access to your 12 favorite apps without unlocking your phone. — Cherlynn Low
If you have a Galaxy S4, here’s how to add widgets to your lock screen.
- Navigate to the settings menu. You can get there by pulling down the notifications drawer from the top of the screen and tapping the gear icon in the upper right corner.
- Select the My device tab.
- Tap Lock Screen.
- Check the box for Multiple Widgets to allow you to add widgets on your lock screen.
- Bring up your lock screen. You can get there by pressing the power button on the side of your phone, waiting a second and then pressing it again.
- Swipe or drag the clock widget sideways. You should see a second window come into view. A lock icon and dots should appear at the bottom of your home screen to indicate which lock screen you are on. The Galaxy S4 supports up to six lock screens, each with one widget.
- Tap the Plus tile that appears on an empty lock screen. If you don’t come across a plus sign, that screen has been used for a widget. Keep swiping sideways till you see a Plus like the one below. You will see a list of widgets you can add to the page.
- Select the widget you want to put on your lock screen.
And voila! You’re all set. To add more widgets, simply swipe sideways again. Remember that only six widget lock screens are supported. If you want to remove an existing widget, simply long press on it, then drag it over the the trash can that shows up at the top of the screen.
Current page: How to Add a Widget to Lock Screen on the Galaxy S4Prev Page How to Use the Samsung Galaxy S4 as a TV Remote Next Page How to Add Shortcuts to Lock Screen on the Galaxy S4
Get the BEST of Tom’s Guide daily right in your inbox: Sign up now!
Upgrade your life with the Tom’s Guide newsletter. Subscribe now for a daily dose of the biggest tech news, lifestyle hacks and hottest deals. Elevate your everyday with our curated analysis and be the first to know about cutting-edge gadgets.
Tom's Guide upgrades your life by helping you decide what products to buy, finding the best deals and showing you how to get the most out of them and solving problems as they arise. Tom's Guide is here to help you accomplish your goals, find great products without the hassle, get the best deals, discover things others don’t want you to know and save time when problems arise. Visit the About Tom's Guide page for more information and to find out how we test products.