Use Your Phone as a TV Remote
Like most of the newest halo phones on the market, the Samsung Galaxy S4 has an infrared port so you can use it as a TV remote. With its built-in WatchOn application, the Galaxy S4 can browse channels and see what’s on, search Netflix for streaming titles or query Samsung’s Media Hub to find movies and TV shows you can buy. But before you can use the WatchOn app, you’ll have to set it up. — Daniel P. Howley
To set up WatchOn on the Galaxy S4:
- Open the WatchON app and select your country.
- Enter your zip code and select your content provider.
- If you want to personalize your TV selection, tap Personalize. If not, select Skip.
- If you chose personalize, select the genres of TV shows and movies you watch and press Next.
- Choose the Sports you are interested in and press Next.
- Set your age and gender, if you want, and tap the Done button at the top of the screen.
To Set up WatchOn as your TV Remote:
- Open the WatchOn app and tap the remote icon in the top right corner of the screen and press the Set Up Now button.
- Select your television brand from the provided list.
- Press the onscreen Power button to test whether the remote code works for your TV. If it works, press the Yes, This Code Works button. If not, press the No, Test Next Code button.
- Select the source you receive channels from, either your set-top box or TV.
- If you use your set-top box, choose the source from the provided list. Note, you may have to configure your set-top box to receive RF signals.
- Tap the channel button to see if the WatchOn code works with your set-top box.
- If the code works, press the Yes, This Code Works button. If it doesn’t press No, Test Next Code. You can now use your S4 to control both your TV and set-top box.
To control your TV using WatchOn:
- Press the remote icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- If you want to control your TV, press the TV tab at the top of the screen. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up a list of additional controls.
- If you want to control your set-top box, tap the appropriately labeled tab at the top of the screen. Like the TV tab, swipe up from the top of the screen.
Current page: How to Use the Samsung Galaxy S4 as a TV RemotePrev Page How to Make the Samsung Galaxy S4 Ringer Volume Louder Next Page How to Add a Widget to Lock Screen on the Galaxy S4
Get the BEST of Tom’s Guide daily right in your inbox: Sign up now!
Upgrade your life with the Tom’s Guide newsletter. Subscribe now for a daily dose of the biggest tech news, lifestyle hacks and hottest deals. Elevate your everyday with our curated analysis and be the first to know about cutting-edge gadgets.
Tom's Guide upgrades your life by helping you decide what products to buy, finding the best deals and showing you how to get the most out of them and solving problems as they arise. Tom's Guide is here to help you accomplish your goals, find great products without the hassle, get the best deals, discover things others don’t want you to know and save time when problems arise. Visit the About Tom's Guide page for more information and to find out how we test products.