Instagram has officially rolled out its newest update, Instagram version 8.2, complete with a shiny new logo, redesigned user interface and a photo sharing extension. With this extension, users can share photos and videos directly from Photos and other iOS apps without having to launch Instagram. Though many users were not too jazzed when the app announced in March that its new feed would no longer be in chronological order, the share extension has long been on Instagram’s to-do list in terms of updates.
Even if you’re feeling betrayed by IG’s new algorithm, (and the fact that you unknowingly liked a photo that your crush posted three weeks ago, but was at the top of your newsfeed) hopefully we can help you through the simple new photo-sharing process.
1. Update Instagram by opening up the App Store and selecting “Updates” in the lower right-hand corner.
From here you can update Instagram to its latest version. If you’re like me, this is where you pause to feel a little nostalgic about watching the classic logo fade to the new, technicolor version.
MORE: Best Smartphone Camera
2. Launch your Photos app and select a photo or video that you want to share.
3. Tap the Share icon in the lower left-hand corner of the photo.
4. Swipe all the way to the right of the colored icons below your selected photo and tap “More.”
From here you can toggle Instagram on and rearrange the app icons in the order you’d like them to appear. Tap “Done” when you’ve finished.
5. Share selected photos directly to Instagram.
The Instagram icon should now appear directly below your photos. You can tap the icon to add a caption and post directly to your Instagram feed. Since the extension doesn’t allow you to make additional edits through the share feature, you’ll have to launch the app to add filters. Here’s to hoping your now instantly shareable photos skyrocket to the top of your feed (whether or not it's in chronological order).