The margaritas are going to flow on Sweet Magnolias season 3. Netflix has renewed the romantic drama. Season 2 was among Netflix's top shows in the U.S. when it dropped in February 4. The sweet tale of friendship and romance has wide appeal, plus there's plenty of source material to draw from.
Sweet Magnolias is based on books by Sherryl Woods. The series follows three South Carolina women who have been best friends since childhood: recently divorced Maddie (JoAnna Garcia Swisher), attorney Helen (Heather Headley) and chef Dana Sue (Brooke Elliott). Every week, they get together to share drinks and discuss the latest developments in their love lives, families and careers.
The trio teamed up to open up a wellness spa in their town. And in season 2, they help each other recall Serenity's no-good mayor. The women are all at major turning points, too, and in a potential third season, they will likely lean on each other more than ever to navigate new hurdles.
Here's everything we know so far about Sweet Magnolias season 3.
Sweet Magnolias season 3 release date speculation
Netflix has renewed Sweet Magnolias season 3, according to Variety (opens in new tab).
It was all but a foregone conclusion. A few days after season 2's release, the show hit No. 1 on Netflix's Top 10 list for the U.S. Its viewership remained steadily popular in the weeks following and had similar viewership number to Virgin River, another romance-heavy, female-forward Netflix drama.
Even with the renewal, Sweet Magnolia's writers will need some time to pen the scripts. Filming will take about three or four months. In all likelihood, we won't see season 3 until spring 2023 at the earliest.
Sweet Magnolias season 3 cast
Sweet Magnolias is anchored by three leads: JoAnna Garcia Swisher as Maddie Townsend, a former stay-at-home mom who helps run the Corner Spa; Brooke Elliott as Dana Sue Sullivan, the head chef at Sullivans; and Heather Headley as Helen Decatur, an accomplished attorney.
The main trio is likely to be joined by the cast members that play their family, friends, romantic interests, business associates and fellow Serenity townspeople, including:
- Justin Bruening as Cal Maddox, Maddie's boyfriend and the former high school baseball coach
- Brandon Quinn as Ronnie Sullivan, Dana Sue's husband
- Dion Johnstone as Erik Whitley, sous chef at Sullivan's and Helen's boyfriend
- Chris Klein as Bill Townsend, Maddie's ex-husband
- Carson Rowland as Tyler Townsend, Maddie and Bill's eldest son
- Logan Allen as Kyle Townsend, Maddie and Bill's younger son
- Bianca Berry Tarantino as Katie Townsend, Maddie and Bill's daughter
- Caroline Lagerfelt as Paula Vreeland, Maddie's mother
- Anneliese Judge as Annie Sullivan, Dana Sue's daughter
- Michael Shenefelt as Ryan Wingate, Helen's on-and-off boyfriend
- Jamie Lynn Spears as Noreen Fitzgibbons, Bill's ex-fiancée and mother of his baby daughter
- Chris Medlin as Isaac Downey, a cook at Sullivans and Bill's long-lost son with Peggy
- Brittany L. Smith as Peggy Martin, the local newspaper editor
- Allison Gabriel as Mary Vaughn Lewis, the mayor's wife
- Sam Ashby as Jackson Lewis, Mary Vaughn’s son
- Simone Lockhart as Nellie Lewis, Mary Vaughn's daughter
- Frank Oakley III as Harlan Bixby, assistant baseball coach
- Harlan Drum as CeCe Matney, Tyler's ex-girlfriend
- Al-Jaleel Knox as Gabe Weatherspoon, Tyler's best friend
- Tracey Bonner as Pastor June Wilkes
- Hunter Burke as Trotter Vidhyarkorn, a yoga instructor at the Corner Spa
- Chase Anderson as Jeremy Reynolds, a local farmer
Sweet Magnolias season 3 plot and season 2 ending explained
If Sweet Magnolias season 3 returns, it will likely pick up on several threads left dangling in the season 2 finale.
The school fired Cal for his past anger management issues, some (but not all) of which he had previously disclosed to Maddie. However, when a fan shows up at Sullivan's and acts in a vaguely threatening manner, Cal beats him up. He's arrested and taken away by the police as a shocked Maddie looks on.
Helen had moved on from miscarrying the baby she'd conceived with her ex Ryan. She seemed happy with Erik and ready to receive IVF treatments. However, Ryan returns to town and proposes.
Dana Sue unexpectedly receives a big inheritance from Miss Francis, a Serenity elder who died. But after the wake, a mysterious woman tells Annie that her mother is a "life ruiner." The woman is later caught on tape slashing the tires of Sullivan's van.
When they see the video, Maddie and Helen recognize her. "She's back," they announce ominously.
Who is she? It seems like this mystery woman is tied to Miss Francis and is clearly known to the friends. Perhaps she is a niece or goddaughter who believes that inheritance should've been hers. We can only find out if Netflix greenlights Sweet Magnolias season 3.