20 Wallpapers to Spice Up Your Desktop

20 Wallpapers to Spice Up Your Desktop
What makes a good wallpaper?

We put hours of research into answering this question, and we discovered that all good wallpapers have three things in common: 1) They’re available in multiple sizes, for the visual benefit of desktop, laptop, netbook, and even smartphone users; 2) these wallpapers also feature “dead spaces” to accommodate icon grids; and 3) good wallpapers stand out due to visuals that impress the eye more than the images produced by the abilities of an average Photoshop weekend warrior. With few exceptions, the following wallpapers meet these three criteria.

Display 22 Comments.
    arterius2 , September 21, 2010 7:18 AM
    icepick314 , September 21, 2010 1:29 PM
    #16 is only part of a bigger picture...

here is the original picture...I think...

bustapr , September 21, 2010 5:42 PM
    uhm, I thought for sure that youd include Desktop Earth there. Its probably the most awesome wallpaper Ive ever had.
    7amood , September 21, 2010 7:57 PM
    i like them all, and thanx icepick314 for the full wallpaper.
    Anonymous , September 21, 2010 10:25 PM
    You say 1) They’re available in multiple sizes, for the visual benefit of desktop, laptop, netbook, and even smartphone users. Yet you don't provide multiple sizes... ironic.

ak22 , September 21, 2010 10:29 PM
    Had the The Spectrum Of The Sky ages ago check out www.Interfacelift.com/wallpaper for some more Great ones
    TheRockMonsi , September 22, 2010 3:42 AM
    I've been looking for wallpapers forever now, and simply couldn't find any on the internet that I liked. Don't mean to be negative, but this article was no exception to that.

Thankfully, like a week ago or so, I figured out that the best wallpapers I can get are screen shots that I take while watching DiRT 2 replays of me. Now I don't have to worry about searching online for good wallpapers because I can make them. :)

Here's an album of a few picks that I've uploaded and share on online forums:

K-zon , September 22, 2010 5:07 AM
    They have a few decent ones. Very Nice.
    wribbs , September 22, 2010 5:17 AM
    While I had been using an amazing deviant art picture of a dream for years because of a monitor upgrade I began using some great ones I know find monthly at http://www.smashingmagazine.com/tag/wallpapers/
    I think one month is the perfect lifespan for a wallpaper and I really like having the calender.

Also, in regards to "dead space", I'd say anyone who still uses lots or any desktop icons fails at life.
    baddad , September 22, 2010 1:49 PM
    I'll tell you what's better you can have your desktop continuously changing with Windows 7 and it can be any pictures you have. Take my game machine every 5 seconds it changes to a screen shot of one of the games I play. This is not a screen saver it's your desktop changing behind your icons.
    zak_mckraken , September 22, 2010 2:12 PM
    The internet is filled, if not littered with wallpapers. Some amazing, some crumy. Those are really nice suggestions. Thanks!

p.s : Curve really makes me think of the Jerry Bruckheimer Films logo.
    infodan , September 22, 2010 4:27 PM
    #20 reminds me of MoH:AA's snowypark map
    caeden , September 23, 2010 12:53 PM
    Personally I hate a cluttered desktop full of icons, and try to only have 1-2 icons +trash on the desktop at any time. I find that the best desktops for win7 are full of color, but with little definition. This way I am not staring at them all the time (because even the best pic gets old after a day or 2), but the color still shows through the edges of the 10-20 windows that are open. Also I'm a big fan of collecting a ton of backgrounds and sorting them into mood groups or themes (TV shows, happy, melancholic, anime, etc.) And then it's just a few clicks to have a set of backgrounds that will last me a few months before I get bored of them.
    cocoadragon , September 24, 2010 2:03 AM
    bad ad, baaaaaad!

David McMahon , September 24, 2010 3:00 AM
    Spectrum of the sky in non widescreen options

I like the article but not complete!
    rutoojinn , September 25, 2010 5:25 AM
    All of them will provide someone something to enjoy. I personally already have spectrum sky. Goodnight Tale is also great Sci-Fi and the beauty it is capable of. Thanks I say do not end this and open our eyes to more great visuals.
    55Range , September 25, 2010 3:53 PM
    arterius2the only wallpaper worth using here is probably The Spectrum Of The Sky, the rest are not that great TBH

Indeed !
    sixbone , September 27, 2010 8:02 PM
    Spectrum of the sky was cool, but I still wouldn't use any of these as a wallpaper.
    joyrok , September 27, 2010 8:18 PM
    Not like most of these are found on customize.org
    Rab1d-BDGR , September 28, 2010 4:19 PM
    Some are okay, others make my eyes bleed. I think I'll stick with my current wallpaper: Alien and Predator playing each other at pool. :-)