The gentleman thief is back! Lupin part 2 is returning to this summer and Netflix has already revealed the release date and dropped a full-length trailer. Lupin streamed five episodes before leaving off on a huge cliffhanger and will have five more episodes to resolve the thief's biggest challenge yet. And as we saw in a sneak peek from Netflix's Geeked Week, Lupin will have to team up with the police, an adversary he usually avoids. A scene shows Lupin driving Det. Guedira in a car, presumably on their way to searching for Lupin's kidnapped son.
Lupin centers on Assane Diop (Omar Sy), a swindler who draws inspiration from the character Arsène Lupin, a master thief created by author Maurice Leblanc in his turn-of-the-century novels. Assane is seeking to avenge his late father, who was wrongly accused of stealing a valuable necklace from his employers, the Pellegrini family.
- The best Netflix shows to binge right now
- What to know about Ozark season 4
- Plus: Knives Out 2 adds new cast member
The first part of Lupin follows Assane as he conducts a high-stakes heist, seeks more information about nefarious patriarch Hubert Pellegrini (Hervé Pierre) and balances that with caring for his son Raoul (Etan Simon) and ex Claire (Ludivine Sagnier).
Through it all, the show flashes back to Assane's past, from his father introducing him to the Lupin books to his teen years meeting Claire to pulling off a burglary in plain sight.
Episode 5 ends with a heart-stopping cliffhanger: Raoul goes missing while their family is attending a Lupin-themed festival. Unbeknownst to Assane, he's been taken by Hubert Pelligrini's henchman Leonard.
Here's everything you need to know about Lupin part 2.
Lupin part 2 release date
Netflix is releasing Lupin part 2 on Friday, June 11.
According to the streamer's official synopsis, "Assane’s quest for revenge against Hubert Pelligrini has torn his family to pieces. With his back to the wall, he now has to think of a new plan, even if it means putting himself in danger.”
- Signing up for Netflix: How to get an account
Lupin part 2 trailer
Lupin part 2 trailer kicks off a quick recap of how part 1 ended: With Assane's son, Raoul, kidnapped by Pellegrini's henchman.
But Assane's quest to rescue Raoul is greatly complicated by the fact that Pellegrini is working with the police. Now, Assane is the most wanted man in France. What now/ He'll have to disappear.
The first teaser trailer dropped in early March and gave fans a sneak peek of what's to come in Lupin part 2. In the video, Assane issues a stern warning, "If you touch my son, I'll kill you." Can Assane deploy his special set of skills in time to save his son?
Lupin part 2 photos
On May 5, Netflix released the first images from Lupin part 2. The five images don't give away much, though Assane can be seen looking over Paris from a clock tower. He's also climbing a ladder in what appears to be a sewer tunnel.
Lupin part 2 episodes
Part 2 of Lupin season 1 is subtitled, "Dans L'Ombre D'Arsène (In the Shadow of Arsène)" and has five episodes.
Netflix hasn't announced the episode titles yet, but we do know the directors. Ludovic Bernard will direct episodes 6 and 7, while Hugo Gélin is directing episodes 8, 9 and 10.
Part 1 consisted of five episodes:
Lupin episode 1: "Le Collier de la reine" (The Queen's Necklace)
Lupin episode 2: "L'Illusion" (The Illusion)
Lupin episode 3: "Le Commissaire Dumont" (Commissioner Dumont)
Lupin episode 4: "Volte-face" (Flip Flop)
Lupin episode 5: "Étretat" (Étretat, a town in France)
The cast of Lupin is led by Omar Sy as Assane Diop, a self-styled gentleman thief inspired by the character Arsene Lupin. Assane has several aliases, including Paul Sernine.
Young Assane is played by Mamadou Haidara.
Other Lupin cast members include:
- Ludivine Sagnier as Claire, Assane's ex-girlfriend and Raoul's mother
- Ludmilla Makowski as young Claire
- Etan Simon as Raoul, Assane and Claire's son
- Fargass Assandé as Babakar, Assane's late father
- Antoine Gouy as Benjamin Ferel, Assane's longtime friend
- Hervé Pierre as Hubert Pellegrini, a wealthy business mogul
- Nicole Garcia as Anne Pellegrini, Hubert's wife
- Clotilde Hesme as Juliette Pellegrini, Hubert and Anne's daughter.
- Léa Bonneau as young Juliette Pellegrini
- Vincent Garanger as Gabriel Dumont, the commissioner of the Paris police department.
- Johann Dionnet as young detective Gabriel Dumont
- Vincent Londez as Captain Romain Laugier, a police captain investigating the necklace heist
- Shirine Boutella as Lieutenant Sofia Belkacem, a detective
- Soufiane Guerrab as Youssef Guedira, a detective and Lupin reader
- Next: Our guide to the best Netflix movies