- Page 1:Product Survey: Webcams
- Page 2:Creative Labs Live! Cam Optia Pro
- Page 3:Creative Labs Live! Cam Video IM Pro 2
- Page 4:Hercules Dualpix Exchange
- Page 5:Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe
- Page 6:Logitech QuickCam Deluxe for Notebooks
- Page 7:Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
- Page 8:Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision
- Page 9:Microsoft LifeCam Show
- Page 10:Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000
- Page 11:Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000
- Page 12:Microsoft LifeCam VX-5500
- Page 13:Philips SPC 1300NC
- Page 14:Philips SPC 620NC
Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000
The Bundled Software
Microsoft includes software with its webcam that enables shooting videos as well as photos with a maximum resolution of 640 x 480 pixels and 1.3 megapixels, respectively. However, one limitation is that this will all have to be done close to your computer. Digital cameras and camcorders give you the advantage of greater mobility, but with this webcam you are limited by the USB cable.
Probably to prevent Logitech from being the only manufacturer to offer avatars in Live Messenger, Microsoft also has its small collection of tools which has grown in number since the last generation. We'll let you judge their overall usefulness for yourself.
The Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 is equipped with a 1.3 megapixel sensor with a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. The first detail that stands out is that this webcam is very compact, which means easy transport. Moreover, it is mounted on a flexible rubber base which enables placement on any type of support such as an LCD, CRT or even the desktop. Contrary to the VX-1000, 3000 and 6000, there is an automatic focus feature which is highly desireable.
|On the desktop||On a CRT|
|On an LCD||On a laptop|
So, what about image quality?
Microsoft has made huge improvements over its previous models. During the day, quality is very good and the image rate is more than satisfactory. Those who can’t sit still can move freely without being bothered by afterglow or a lack of fluidity. In a poorly lit room, the subject is indeed visible on the screen while reactivity is slightly inferior. Plan on having an alternative light source to give your conversation partner better visibility.
Good sound quality.
Sound quality is very satisfactory and the voice is recognizable. Better yet, there is no background noise such as computer fans, which aren’t always the most discreet.
|Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000|
| || |
When used during the day the Microsoft VX-5000 offers nice image quality and precise sound via its integrated micro. Otherwise, rendering at night is a bit dark.
- Product Survey: Webcams
- Creative Labs Live! Cam Optia Pro
- Creative Labs Live! Cam Video IM Pro 2
- Hercules Dualpix Exchange
- Logitech QuickCam Communicate Deluxe
- Logitech QuickCam Deluxe for Notebooks
- Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
- Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision
- Microsoft LifeCam Show
- Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000
- Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000
- Microsoft LifeCam VX-5500
- Philips SPC 1300NC
- Philips SPC 620NC