Move Maps Between Devices With Handoff
Handoff is one of the features built into iOS 9 that lets you move data easily across your Apple devices. For Maps, that means directions, which you can move from your Mac to your iPhone and vice versa.
MORE: Review: iOS 9
First, though, you'll have to enable Handoff on the devices you'll want sharing directions. And that means making sure you've got the Mac and iOS devices that support Handoff. Apple's support site lists the system requirements for iOS 8 and iOS 9 devices as well as Macs. But if you want a quick look at whether your device supports these features or not you need look no further than System Preferences on your Mac and the Settings App on your iOS Device.
Enabling Handoff on Your Mac
1. Open System Preferences.
2. Click the General Preference.
3. Make sure there's a check in the box that says Allow Handoff Between This Mac and Your iCloud Devices, if your Mac supports Handoff and you want to use this feature.
If you don't see this checkbox your Mac does not support Handoff.
Enabling Handoff on Your iOS Device
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Select General from the Settings menu.
3. Tap Handoff & Suggested Apps.
<Handoff and Suggested Apps.png>
4. Make sure that Handoff and Installed Apps are switched on.
If you don't see Handoff & Suggested apps in the General setting, your iOS device does not support Handoff.
Once everything's enabled, it's time to share directions. To hand-off a map on your Mac to your iOS 9-running phone, follow these steps.
1. Open the Maps App on your Mac.
2. Search for directions in Maps.
3. Leave Maps open as the front-most app on your Mac and wake your iOS device.
4. Look for the Maps icon in the lower left corner of your iOS device's lock screen.
5. Slide the icon upward.
6. Enter your passcode or use TouchID to unlock your iOS device.
7. Maps will open.
8. Tap Start to begin your trip.
To pass a map on your iOS device over to your Mac, follow these steps.
1. Open the Maps App on your iOS device.
2. Search for directions.
3. Leave Maps open on your iOS device and locate and click the Maps icon near the Finder icon on your Dock.
4. View the directions in Maps.