Tips for Living Without the Optical Drive

Tips for Living Without the Optical Drive
No Disc Drive? No Problem!

In the quest for lighter and more mobile laptops and ultrabooks, one piece of hardware that used to be a necessity is often being sacrificed. The CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray disc reader, once a computing necessity, is being challenged by ever more reliable broadband, cloud storage, and other options. Is it possible to go without the built-in optical drive? With some slight adjustment on how you consume your media and work with software, that's definitely possible!

mouse24 , May 27, 2013 4:33 PM
    I thought almost everyone knew about this already. Not hating, good article.
    ZeroTrouble , May 28, 2013 6:32 AM
    First tip for living without an optical drive:
    Buy an optical drive?
    icepick314 , May 28, 2013 7:20 AM
    optical drive in PC is like a condom...
    better to have it and not needed than not have it and needed...
    charels88 , May 28, 2013 11:16 AM
    AnyDVD HD from Slysoft could be used with Handbrake to deal with encryption. Slysoft offers a pay once lifetime subscription and has worked with any DVD I have thrown at it. I however haven't done any Bluray.
    kitekrazy1963 , May 30, 2013 6:49 AM
    I have 4 systems and 3 of them have Lite-On drives and they all stick. Outside of that they all work and they are PATA. I have a Toshiba that has to be close 10 years old still working great.
    I still backup stuff up on a DVD and external drive.
    teh_chem , June 13, 2013 5:43 AM
    Article title: "Tips for living without the optical drive."
    Option 3: "If you've got an external drive, or a desktop with an optical reader..."

Great, nice tips. How to live without an optical drive? BUY ONE!
    mathew7 , June 13, 2013 6:11 AM
    Zalman VE-x00 series....I bought one and never looked back. I can have boot CD image files and boot them on any system that boots from USB CDs. Also usable instead of DT lite or virtualdrive (although the SW solutions can have better anti-CD protections, UI and more image-file support).
    digiex , June 13, 2013 6:22 AM
    Torrent, the best file and multimedia repository.
    ...and just observed when making this post, when I move the cursor using the keyboard arrows, the article also scrolls sideways.
    Vlad Razvan , June 14, 2013 1:50 AM
    Haven't had a optical drive in my desktop PC for a year now. So far, no problems.