Skip to main content

iPhone 4 Cable Catches Fire, Burns Owner's Hand

Boy Genius Report cites an AT&T insider who provided the following images along with a story of a user whose iPhone 4 caught fire. The incident appears to be either a problem with the USB port the device was plugged into, or the iPhone 4's dock connector port (an Apple Store confirmed that it was a result of "a defective USB port and not some sort of user error"). Judging from how melted the iPhone-end of the cable is, it looks as though the port on the phone was the problem.

The AT&T source told BGR that the phone's bezel became hot enough to burn the user's hand when he picked it up.

The report brings back memories of exploding iPhone and iPod incidents from last summer. One teenager in France was injured after his girlfriend's iPhone shattered and a piece of the device hit him in the face. The boy was using his girlfriend's phone when it began making a hissing noise and the screen suddenly broke, sending pieces flying in the air.

A second incident involved a 26-year-old security guard at a supermarket in Villevieille, near Nîmes, France. Yassine Bouhadi claimed his iPhone made a noise like a mirror shattering while he was texting his girlfriend. Bouhadi said a little piece of the screen hit him in the eye and he had to remove it with a tweezers.

At the time Apple said the exploding iPhones were not due to overheating but external force applied to the devices.

  • shovenose
    -1 apple :)
    Reply
  • michaeljr
    guess he was holding it wrong..
    Reply
  • ern88
    Have to wait and see on this one. I know I won't get one of these phones till the bugs are found and fixed in future updates.
    Reply
  • lashton
    and people still by this shit, the nexus doesn't hurt people
    Reply
  • m-manla
    Not going good for Apple.
    Reply
  • pharge
    At this moment it is still too early to say whos fault is (though We'd preferre to put the blam on Apple no matter what..:P )
    It is good that the phone did not actually explor. Otherwise.. the shatter glass can be very scary (specially for the people who like to leave the phone in their front pant parket..:P

    .
    Reply
  • Yeah, must be total user error. Apple has never had any issues with any of there products. Stupid consumers, not knowing how to not burn themselves!
    Reply
  • IFLATLINEI
    Im just starting to feel sorry for Apple owners at this point. Recpetion issues, the lack of Flash ( It matters to some), and now this. Hopefully this is an isolated issue because as much as people who purchase this crap disgust me I dont want to see anyone get hurt from their choice in devices.
    Reply
  • proxy711
    IFLATLINEIIm just starting to feel sorry for Apple owners at this point. Recpetion issues, the lack of Flash ( It matters to some), and now this. Hopefully this is an isolated issue because as much as people who purchase this crap disgust me I dont want to see anyone get hurt from their choice in devices.Don't feel sorry for them, the fact is they brought this upon themselves by being mindless apple zombie fanbois.
    Reply
  • maloy4life
    another fail for apple...hope these zombies wake up from there apple spell
    Reply