- Page 1:If you want to change something, measure it!
- Page 2:Fitbit Tracker
- Page 3:Philips DirectLife Activity Monitor
- Page 4:BodyMedia FIT Armband
- Page 5:Switch2Health REPLAY Activity Bracelet
- Page 6:Adidas miCoach
- Page 7:Wahoo Fisica
- Page 8:Track on your Phone
- Page 9:Zeo Personal Sleep Coach
- Page 10:Wakemate
- Page 11:Withings Connected Wi-Fi Body Scale
- Page 12:BodyTrace eScale
- Page 13:Vitality GlowCap Smart Pill Bottle
- Page 14:emWave2
- Page 15:iHealth Health Pressure Monitoring System
- Page 16:Medical Measurements with YourFutureHealth
- Page 17:Track and Earn with Earndit and Plus3
- Page 18:Track your Mood...or Anything else
- Page 19:Coming Soon: Health and Happiness Tracking
- Page 20:The Dark Side of Tracking
Withings Connected Wi-Fi Body Scale
If you want to lose weight, you need to weigh yourself regularly – and keep records. The $159 Wi-Fi-connected Withings Body scale makes the weighing and recording easy, at least, and it works for up to eight people so the whole family can use it. The scale also looks great, with a sleek glass and aluminum design.
Fit the batteries and plug in the Withings scale to set up the Wi-Fi.
Setup was a little confusing; inserting the four AAA batteries and fitting the optional feet to make it balance on carpet are easy enough. When it comes to connecting the scale to your PC with the USB cable to set up the Wi-Fi network, the instructions are on the Web site rather than in the manual, and you have to do that before you can link it to your iPhone. Once the scale is connected, you just step on it; first it shows your weight, then it works out your fat/muscle ratio and uploads both. At that point you need to look on the Web site and assign that weight to a user. If someone else is going to weigh themselves, you can set up their details first – or they can just step on the scale and you can mark their weight as a new user online. As long as everyone using the scale has a fairly different weight it will recognize them automatically and display their three-letter nickname (which you set up online). If the wrong name shows up you can shift your weight to your left or right foot to choose the right one on the scale display.
The big advantage of the Withings scale is that several people can use it.
You could weigh yourself and enter the figures in an app manually; having it uploaded automatically makes it so much easier that you can’t really make excuses. It also makes it easier to hop on the scale first thing in the morning – the best time to weigh yourself, but when you may not have your glasses on to see the scale clearly. You get a great graph online or on your phone, which encourages you to keep an eye on your weight, and it plugs into several tracking services. Our main complaint is the fat percentage; so many factors can affect this (humidity, water intake, whether your feet are still damp from your shower) that we found this varied too much too be useful.
- If you want to change something, measure it!
- Fitbit Tracker
- Philips DirectLife Activity Monitor
- BodyMedia FIT Armband
- Switch2Health REPLAY Activity Bracelet
- Adidas miCoach
- Wahoo Fisica
- Track on your Phone
- Zeo Personal Sleep Coach
- Withings Connected Wi-Fi Body Scale
- BodyTrace eScale
- Vitality GlowCap Smart Pill Bottle
- iHealth Health Pressure Monitoring System
- Medical Measurements with YourFutureHealth
- Track and Earn with Earndit and Plus3
- Track your Mood...or Anything else
- Coming Soon: Health and Happiness Tracking
- The Dark Side of Tracking