8 Best Android Keyboard Apps

8 Best Android Keyboard Apps
Android Keyboards

One of the unique benefits of owning an Android device is the ability to replace your phone or tablet's default keyboard with one of many feature-packed alternatives. But how do you decide what to download? We've surveyed the Google Play store for the top options. From smarter predictive typing and highly customizable keyboard layouts to swipe typing and gesture controls, here are the 8 best Android keyboards available.

Anonymous , August 22, 2012 4:31 PM
    You missed a great one for the Geeks out there: Hackers Keyboard. I use it all the time for SSHing into my systems, and it's main benefit is a full set of keys. You can use modifiers like ctrl & alt, function keys, anything. It makes such remote admin tasks possible on an Android device.
    alexmx , August 22, 2012 5:00 PM
    Swiftkey would be perfect IF

a) They fix the word dissappearing when typing fast
    b) I could choose 2 o 3 languajes excluding their respective keyboards
    c) I could use DragonGo! instead of google search
    hmp_goose , August 22, 2012 5:21 PM
    No Graffiti?
    jordan009 , August 22, 2012 5:45 PM
    BetterKeyboard should of been in this list!
    AndrewMD , August 22, 2012 6:20 PM
    All of these keyboards suck. Ive been using GoKeyboard and the stock Android keyboard. One thing Android doesn't have which Apple has, is universal keyboard languages. I hate having to jump from English to Chinese to Korean, to Japanese using a different keyboard...
    kittle , August 22, 2012 6:21 PM
    +1 for the hackers keyboard.
    or anything with numbers across the top. its seriously annoying all the "extra" keystrokes needed just to type a simple: "meet me @ 2pm"
    LordConrad , August 22, 2012 9:31 PM
    Swype for the win! To bad for the sheeple that you can't get it on iDevices.
    Anonymous , August 23, 2012 9:23 AM
    No handwriting recognition? Like Palm or Galaxy Note. No Dvorak?
    grant barker , August 23, 2012 11:37 AM
    21 Android keyboards here: http://www.grantbarker.com/android-keyboards.html
    Anonymous , August 23, 2012 7:35 PM
    I would still prefer having an Android device with a keyboard like these devices
    Anonymous , September 8, 2012 6:10 PM
    i dont get satisfied with virtual keyboards. I like phones with real keyboards like http://technonymous.net/9-reasons-to-buy-a-qwerty-phone/
    Anonymous , October 10, 2012 6:40 AM
    Hi there. Really a great information. Thanks for sharing it.

Android Application development
    pastorb , November 19, 2012 10:14 PM
    Thumb Keyboard is quite useful, but my favorite is SwiftKey3. I use it on my 10.1 inch tablet (a Toshiba Thrive, but it works on phones as well). The keys are well placed and there are lots of ways to customize the keyboard. The best thing about it is the predictive typing option. On average I have to type about 60% as much as if I had to type every word in full. That really speeds things up.

I do wish that the number keypad in the middle of the keyboard could be edged towards one side or the other. As it is it's quite a stretch to type the numbers. Also, I wish that one of the (two) spacebars could be used to put spaces in a document while the other is used to trigger the predictive spelling. As of now it's one or the other.

--Michael