The plight of 21-year-old George Hotz caused many PlayStation fans to decry Sony and its decision to sue Hotz for hacking the PS3 and posting details of his exploits online. The suit has been a messy, complicated one and it looked as though the two parties were gearing up for a lengthy legal battle. However, it seems the electronics giant and the New Jersey youth have quietly settled out of court.
Speaking via the official PlayStation blog, Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications and Social Media at Sony revealed that Geohot and Sony reached a settlement on March 31.
Though full details of the settlement were not disclosed, Seybold did mention that as part of the settlement, Hotz consented to a permanent injunction.
Both parties expressed satisfaction that litigation had been quickly resolved.
"Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us," said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. "Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal."
For his part, Hotz says he never intended to make piracy easier.
“It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” said Hotz, “I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.”