15 PC-Cleaning Tools to Speed Your Computer

15 PC-Cleaning Tools to Speed Your Computer
Free PC Cleaning Tools to Download

Does it take forever for your PC applications to load? Are web pages loading slowly despite your super-fast broadband connection? Is your hard drive riddled with duplicate files and the detritus of old programs and settings? Maybe it’s time for your system to enjoy a bit of spring cleaning. Here are a few free utilities that specialize in "cleaning" your PC. Among other things, these applications can remove unnecessary files, track down duplicates, and help insure clean uninstalls—speeding up your system and cleaning out space used by junk and temporary files.

gonzotgreat23 , June 28, 2012 11:52 PM
    assasin32 , June 29, 2012 10:40 AM
    gonzotgreat23Great story. What ever happened to the programs that would scan your system and tell you when you had updated drivers/patches available? I miss being able to be lazy.

You want secbrowing if your using Google Chrome to keep up to date on the extensions. And Nvidia has something that either updates or tells you there is a new update for their GPU driver I believe. I don't have that one installed I just remember seeing it as I updated my driver a few days ago and remember seeing the option. Besides that from what I seen Win7 and Vista updates default drivers every now and than.
    bigcyco1 , June 29, 2012 2:38 PM
    Great recommendations thank you!
    Dogsnake , June 29, 2012 3:15 PM
    I just do not get the reason for this article except as a blatant advertisement for these utilities. When Tom's Hardware did a test of many of these and other software claiming to speed up a system, they found zero improvement in system performance (by any measure of it). Some did remove unwanted or obsolete files but that was about it. Also though the software did present a somewhat unified interface for this action, all the clean ups could be done with native application and OS tools. In a few cases the utilities even slowed a system. The registry cleaner section of some of the tools also presents a chance of damaging the system if it is not used by an experienced user. Lastly on 8/2/2011 This page ran the same article citing 12 utilities instead of 15. I would think there is enough new in computers and IT to come up with new subjects. All in all this is just junk journalism and I expect better from Tom,s.
    Anonymous , July 2, 2012 4:37 PM
    I use Regedit and Explorer.
    ;-D
    Anonymous , February 23, 2013 2:28 AM
    None of these work on my PC... oh wait, I don't use Windows, hence don't need them. Thank goodness for that!
    lradunovic77 , February 27, 2013 3:25 PM
    Whoever coded this page have no clue, terrible load time
    basketcase87 , February 27, 2013 4:40 PM
    It seems to me most of these are extremely reduntant (look- another program to clean "useless files"). It would be nice if there was some kind of summary that gave an idea of what had unique features without having to pick through the details of each tool.
    Fizea , April 11, 2013 12:41 AM
    I wish my software Registry Recycler to be added in this list. Its a total free registry cleaner
    Ilham Januri , April 18, 2013 7:50 PM
    alphaa10 , September 4, 2013 2:28 AM
    Piriform software, a UK firm known for high-quality releases, produces CCleaner and also a product called "Defraggler", which could help CCleaner keep the system fast.

The free version of Avast! provides an update checker that works exceptionally well.

Good article, with strong evidence the author actually used each application. Comparisons focus on differences that matter to end-users. Overall, a wide range of products that are probably on everyone's "Buy Next" list
    CyberGhosT , October 9, 2013 11:08 PM
    Tuneup Utilities is all I use and have used for many years now, and my custom Digitalstorm gaming system is purring like a kitten 3 yrs later. I was taught that "if it aint broke, don't fix it" so I feel no need to switch or change up at this point.
    Give it a try you may thank me later. PeAcE