As promised, Sony has released the 3.0 update for its PlayStation 3 firmware. This new firmware is available for all current PS3 consoles and will also be provided out-of-the-box for all the PS3 Slims.
Firmware 3.0 includes tweaks to the Xross Media Bar, network improvements and personalization options.
Sony also listed these additional highlights from update 3.0:
- “What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section for the latest updates in a more visually oriented format.
- Status Indicator – In the top right corner will be an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages.
- Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.
- PlayStation Store Shortcuts – A handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
- Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. A dynamic theme incorporates animated objects into the background.
- Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content.
Engadget also discovered a couple of other small usability tweaks: simultaneous audio output across connectors and control of video playback (slow motion, fast forward and rewind) using the right stick.
Update now using the system update feature on your PS3!