- Page 1:Introduction
- Page 2:Display Basics
- Page 3:Plasma Technology
- Page 4:A "Simple" Basic Principle
- Page 5:From Fluorescent Tube To Plasma Pixel
- Page 6:Advantages And Disadvantages Of Plasma Displays
- Page 7:Major Disadvantages
- Page 8:Application Areas For Plasma
- Page 9:In Detail
- Page 10:Addressing LCD Matrices
- Page 11:A Little Lithography
- Page 12:Advantages And Disadvantages Of LCDs
- Page 13:But They Have Problems Too
- Page 14:LCD: Applications
Advantages And Disadvantages Of LCDs
A Natural For IT
LCD technology clearly has many advantages for the IT world. Computers were the channel through which the technology emerged, before it was adapted to other applications. The pixels can be made very small thanks to the lithographic process used, which is taken from the semiconductor industry. LCD computer monitors are now a serious alternative to bulky CRT monitors, and soon will have just about achieved a monopoly. LCDs are also found in almost all portable applications. Meanwhile, production of OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) displays is starting up, though it is rather slow at the moment.
In general, LCD-based solutions are less expensive than plasma TVs, but naturally, market factors have to be taken into account. When there's a shortage of panels, even lower-cost technologies can reach exorbitant prices. We saw that happen a little over a year ago.
In terms of image quality, LCDs offer better brightness than CRT displays. And LCD pixels don't flicker, which means they can be used close up, creating a better immersion experience.
LCD TVs have exceptional image stability, meaning you can sit close and not experience eye fatigue. In addition, the brightness is excellent and the image is perfectly sharp. Add to that the reasonable production price - barring shortages - and reduced footprint, and you can see that LCD has a lot going for it.
- Display Basics
- Plasma Technology
- A "Simple" Basic Principle
- From Fluorescent Tube To Plasma Pixel
- Advantages And Disadvantages Of Plasma Displays
- Major Disadvantages
- Application Areas For Plasma
- In Detail
- Addressing LCD Matrices
- A Little Lithography
- Advantages And Disadvantages Of LCDs
- But They Have Problems Too
- LCD: Applications