Notifications and Alerts Tips
If you’re not careful, your iOS device can buzz and beep constantly every time a notification comes through. Here are a few simple ways to manage those alerts appearing on your phone or tablet.
Use the LED Flash for Alerts and Notifications
If you don't like to be disturbed by beeps or buzzes from your iPhone, or you'll be too far away from your phone to hear them, you can instead tell your phone to blink the LED flash when it receives an alert.
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap General.
3. Tap Accessibility.
4. Under the Hearing section, slide LED Flash for Alerts to the On position.
Include Travel Time Estimates for Your Appointments
Having your iOS device alert you to an upcoming appointment is great, but for events that are far away, wouldn't it be great if it let you know when you needed to leave? Here's how you can build travel time into your appointments.
1. Open Calendar.
2. Tap an event.
3. Tap Edit.
4. Tap Location to enter the location of the event.
5. On the Edit Event screen, tap Travel Time.
6. Switch Travel Time to on.
7. Select a different Starting Location, if necessary. (By default, it's the address set as Home in your contact record.)
8. Choose driving or walking travel time, or choose from the list of predefined travel times.
9. Return to the Edit Event Screen.
10. Tap Done.
11. Return to the day view to see the travel time included in your appointment.
Adjust Location-Based Reminder Perimeters
You probably know that iOS can remind you to do something when you arrive at or leave a specific location. But did you know that you can choose exactly how big that location is? That's handy if you want to be reminded of something when you're at the park, for example, or a shopping center.
1. Open the Reminders app.
2. Tap an empty line and enter a reminder.
3. Tap the "i" icon next to the reminder.
4. Swipe the "Remind me at a location" switch to the On position.
5. Tap Location.
6. Enter the address at which you'd like to be reminded, or select it from the list of recent searches.
7. In the map at the bottom, tap on the black handle and drag it outward to expand the diameter of the circle. This widens the area in which you'll be notified of your reminder.
8. Choose "When I leave..." or "When I arrive..." to be reminded at the appropriate time.
9. When finished, tap Details to return to the reminder.
10. Tap Done.