25 Best Windows 8 Apps

25 Best Windows 8 Apps
25 Best Windows 8 Apps

Windows 8.1, Microsoft's operating system, marked a fundamental change in the company's vision for PCs with an emphasis on a touch interface, and a flat, clean visual design that looks stunning on tablet interfaces. From music players and news readers to games and social networking tools, we look at 25 of our favorite Windows 8 apps.

Display 21 Comments.
    K2N hater , July 7, 2012 4:17 PM
    Soon people will be claiming Android and iOS apps are better than these.
    DjEaZy , September 3, 2012 12:48 PM
    ... waste of screenspace...
    math1337 , September 3, 2012 2:21 PM
    Android and iOS apps are better than these.
    dthx , September 3, 2012 3:12 PM
    math1337Android and iOS apps are better than these.

Wooooow... didn't see that one coming !!!

techcurious , September 3, 2012 3:39 PM
    K2N haterSoon people will be claiming Android and iOS apps are better than these.

Admit it.. you just wanted to be the First Comment and couldn't come up with a less obvious observation.. water is wet and Android and iOS apps are better..
    Windows 8 has not even come out yet, so for now it has an excuse for that.. I will reserve my fair judgement for about two years to give Microsoft a chance to catch up. Talking about competitiveness of Apps that is.. I have little faith in Windows 8 itself..
    techcurious , September 3, 2012 3:48 PM
    math1337Android and iOS apps are better than these.

dthxWooooow... didn't see that one coming !!!

And the Smartass award goes to.. you guess it.. dthx!
    I believe what math1337 meant to say was "Android and i)S apps are better than these... in response to the first post.. a perfectly valid response :p
    egmccann , September 4, 2012 7:50 AM
    Spam, spam, spam, spam....

As far as a relevant comment - Again. Windows 8. I see it working very nicely for tablets. Map app instead of a website, ok, makes sense, same with GPS. Weather... eh... I still, personally, prefer a gadget I can glance at on the desktop, as a lot of the space *is wasted.* But why do I need an Ebay app?

Most importantly, as Windows 8 *IS NOT JUST A TABLET OS,* why do I need them on the desktop, where they block everything else out when in use and waste a lot of space? I don't need the weather at full desktop resolution - a quick glance to see it's (say) 83 degrees, with a click for an unobtrusive expansion to see a thunderstorm is predicted, is just fine. Why do I need full-screen Telnet? Why, on a desktop, do I need (no offense) a Tom's app and an eBay app when I have a browser?

They're nicely done, don't get me wrong. But... I have a browser. I don't need an app. Especially when it's going to be one (or two, or three, or...) more things cluttering the Metro screen.
    back_by_demand , September 4, 2012 9:22 AM
    Ordinary Windows programs are better than these and Android and iOS apps
    ...
    6 million to choose from and no reason to stop using them, because the OS still lets you install and use them
    DjEaZy , September 4, 2012 9:44 AM
    dthxWooooow... didn't see that one coming !!!The good news (and that's what Microsoft counts on) is that the developing for Win8 is fast and easy if you are already familiar with Visual Studio tools. There is a huge base of MS minded developers on the market that had "difficulties" for adapting themselves to the Android or IOS SDK's, so the Windows 8 Apps library will probably grow very quickly and we'll soon have plenty of very useful and less useful (but in any case ugly) applications to use on what will probably become my OS of choice.

... still, waste of screen space... and what about multi monitor?
    bourgeoisdude , September 4, 2012 1:41 PM
    Surprised they got away with naming the app Torchlight. I was excited for a second that they already ported a big-name game to Windows 8.
    jonyah , September 4, 2012 8:23 PM
    More proof Windows8 will suck for normal desktop/notebooks. tablets? maybe but as others have already said, it's a huge waste of screen real estate. Sure developers can create "apps" for this quick and easy, including myself. But what's the point if no one is going to use them?
    Christopher1 , September 10, 2012 7:03 PM

They are early apps. The app library on Android and iOS wasn't anything to crow about at first as well.

Once Microsoft start paying or encouraging people to 'port' their apps to Windows 8's App Store? You will see a real 3 way battle between Android, iOS and Windows 8. Especially once Windows 8 PC's start including Retina-class touch screen support.
    Anonymous , October 2, 2012 12:24 PM
    Maybe; when you actually start using Windows 8 you will realise that you are talking about the start screen and that desktop is exactly the same as it has always been. You just have to choose it, rather than it being there from the start. the first thing we do is go to the start menu when tuning on the PC to chose our program, the list is already there and easier to select with windows 8. Maybe you should try it before knocking it.
    hydac7 , September 12, 2013 3:53 PM
    I stopped reading when I got to " Windows 8 apps "
    w8gaming , September 12, 2013 8:46 PM
    If you have to put wikipedia as one of the best (it is a good website yes, but it is like saying notepad is one of the best just because it is useful), it shows the app store is still terrible in app choice. Where is the top app in iOS and Android such as Whatsapp? How about Soundhound? Still a long way to go thats what I see.

Yes desktop is good, when you include that Windows has the best applications selection, with all competitors way far behind. But Microsoft seems to have decided to kill it, or at least hide it until it goes away. So too bad.
    Cryio , September 13, 2013 3:36 AM
    Not much has changed in this list since 1 year ago.
    ubercake , September 13, 2013 7:24 AM
    Android and iOS seem like the same thing just using a different label. Everything even looks close to the same. It's good to have choices.
    Innocent_Bystander , October 16, 2013 8:35 AM
    Wow, there's about 2 out of the 25 that I don't deem a waste of bandwidth...

This whole app mania better stop on the desktop. Dumbed down touch crap with 3 options is just not the way to go on proper computers.

IB
    7998 , November 5, 2013 6:02 AM
    I can tell you another Mac data recovery software http://www.easeus.com/mac-data-recovery-software/
    7998 , November 5, 2013 6:03 AM
    http://www.easeus.com/mac-data-recovery-software/ you can use it
React To This Article