Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

trio600 vs hatachi 1000

Last response: in Wireless Carriers
Share
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 11:39:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

hi I am trying to upgrade my 8100 to the trio 600 or the hatachi 1000
which is a better phone?

Thanks

Skankin

More about : trio600 hatachi 1000

April 11, 2004 11:45:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Skankin wrote:
> hi I am trying to upgrade my 8100 to the trio 600 or the hatachi 1000
> which is a better phone?
>
> Thanks
>
> Skankin
>


The Treo has MO-SMS and Macintosh support. The Hitachi has a bigger
screen and costs $10 more a month for unlimited Vision. I suspect you'll
find the Hitachi is more like carrying around a computer. The interface
adopts much of the Windows desktop conventions. You have multi-tasking
and a much more computer like paradigm. You need to see these phones in
person too... There is a HUGE difference in size here. The Hitachi is a
giant compared to the rest of the SprintPCS handset line-up, and is only
a little smaller than my laptop.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 12:02:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Skankin wrote:
> hi I am trying to upgrade my 8100 to the trio 600 or the hatachi 1000
> which is a better phone?
>

Hands down, the Treo 600. The Hitachi has a nasty habit of crashing at
the most inconvenient times.
Related resources
April 12, 2004 12:02:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Kenneth P. Stox" <stox@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<fvhec.1232$c94.717@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
> Skankin wrote:
> > hi I am trying to upgrade my 8100 to the trio 600 or the hatachi 1000
> > which is a better phone?
> >
>
> Hands down, the Treo 600. The Hitachi has a nasty habit of crashing at
> the most inconvenient times.

Would you expect anything else from an OS from Microsoft? :) 
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 6:23:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Skankin wrote:
> hi I am trying to upgrade my 8100 to the trio 600 or the hatachi 1000
> which is a better phone?

I can't recommend the Treo600. The PCS digital data rate is PITIFUL.
Bad dialup is faster. This is true no matter where I use it, or how
strong the signal is. It's still very bad when I turn off the
downloading of images. It is simply useless.

On top of that, Sprint really is as awful as they're supposed to be.
They don't even honor their rebates. I'm going to have to threaten a
lawsuit just to get the rebate they promised. That or accept that I've
spent $600 on a cell phone/PDA that has NO useful digital services.

If at all possible, stay away from Sprint and the Treo, unless you
simply want cell phone with a tiny PDA.

Randy

--
Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 9:23:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Hi,
I started using the Treo 600 a week ago and I find the Vision
connection real slow. What are your experiences? - is this to be
expected - my first foray into web experience on the palm - so I
thought I would ask for
1. what is normal
2. is there a way to speed things up (I have switched off image
dowloading)


At best of times I seem to get slower than dialup.

Thanks in advance,

-prasana
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 11:37:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Randy Crawford" <joe@burgershack.com> wrote in message
news:c5eqap$6sc$1@joe.rice.edu...
> Skankin wrote:
> > hi I am trying to upgrade my 8100 to the trio 600 or the hatachi 1000
> > which is a better phone?
>
> I can't recommend the Treo600. The PCS digital data rate is PITIFUL.
> Bad dialup is faster. This is true no matter where I use it, or how
> strong the signal is. It's still very bad when I turn off the
> downloading of images. It is simply useless.
>
> On top of that, Sprint really is as awful as they're supposed to be.
> They don't even honor their rebates. I'm going to have to threaten a
> lawsuit just to get the rebate they promised. That or accept that I've
> spent $600 on a cell phone/PDA that has NO useful digital services.
>
> If at all possible, stay away from Sprint and the Treo, unless you
> simply want cell phone with a tiny PDA.
>
> Randy
>
> --
> Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu

Randy, how was Vision during your first two weeks you had the phone in
Houston? The same as it is now? If it is, why did you keep the phone?

Bob
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 4:37:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <19d562fe.0404121623.4ba7a614@posting.google.com>,
pananthan@yahoo.com (Prasana) wrote:

> Hi,
> I started using the Treo 600 a week ago and I find the Vision
> connection real slow. What are your experiences? - is this to be
> expected - my first foray into web experience on the palm - so I
> thought I would ask for
> 1. what is normal
> 2. is there a way to speed things up (I have switched off image
> dowloading)
>
>
> At best of times I seem to get slower than dialup.

Welcome to Vision.
April 13, 2004 6:56:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Prasana wrote:

> Hi,
> I started using the Treo 600 a week ago and I find the Vision
> connection real slow. What are your experiences? - is this to be
> expected - my first foray into web experience on the palm - so I
> thought I would ask for
> 1. what is normal
> 2. is there a way to speed things up (I have switched off image
> dowloading)
>
>
> At best of times I seem to get slower than dialup.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -prasana

Wave a dead chicken over it.

Wrap it in aluminum foil.

Bring it a shrubbery.

Seriously, your performance is going to be related to a handful of factors:
Handset processor speed.
Reception.
Network saturation:
Over the air
In Sprint's network
At Sprint's gateway to the net
On the internet itself

While Wapspeed.com may or may not be a useful tool, I tried it a few
times in roughly the same place. Inside a building using the phone's
built-in antenna, extended, I saw 86k. Outside in my car with a Wilson
Magnet Mount antenna installed I saw 116k. Vision has always felt faster
to me with an external antenna. YMMV.

-mike
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 9:23:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Robert M. wrote:

> In article <19d562fe.0404121623.4ba7a614@posting.google.com>,
> pananthan@yahoo.com (Prasana) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I started using the Treo 600 a week ago and I find the Vision
>> connection real slow. What are your experiences? - is this to be
>> expected - my first foray into web experience on the palm - so I
>> thought I would ask for
>> 1. what is normal
>> 2. is there a way to speed things up (I have switched off image
>> dowloading)
>>
>>
>> At best of times I seem to get slower than dialup.
>
> Welcome to Vision.

Not the way *I* experience it in San Diego. I can download from my
website at a solid 90kbps (9 minutes to download a 4.5M newspaper in
iSilo format).

I tend to see rates between 50 and 100kbps at various websites, and when
retrieving email.

Can you quantify what you mean by "slow"? You should be seeing speeds
that are better than dialup. If you're expecting broadband performance,
you can forget it. You'll have to wait for the EV-DO or similar
technologies to be deployed.
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 9:30:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Randy Crawford wrote:

> Skankin wrote:
>> hi I am trying to upgrade my 8100 to the trio 600 or the hatachi 1000
>> which is a better phone?
>
> I can't recommend the Treo600. The PCS digital data rate is PITIFUL.
> Bad dialup is faster. This is true no matter where I use it, or how
> strong the signal is. It's still very bad when I turn off the
> downloading of images. It is simply useless.

That simply does NOT jibe with my experience. The PCS data rate is
pathetic compared to DSL or cable modem. I typically see a data rate
two to three times typical dialup (which rarely goes above 33kbps). I
regularly get 60-100kbps when downloading, viewing websites, or emailing.

> On top of that, Sprint really is as awful as they're supposed to be.
> They don't even honor their rebates. I'm going to have to threaten a
> lawsuit just to get the rebate they promised. That or accept that I've
> spent $600 on a cell phone/PDA that has NO useful digital services.

Sprint PCS is probably no worse than any other company at rebate
fulfillment. They stumble on occasion -- initially rejecting my Treo
rebate for an obviously invalid reason. When I pointed out the problem
to the rep on the phone (in Bangalore, no doubt), she quickly figured
out what the problem was, and authorized the rebate. No lawsuit threats
were required or warranted.

> If at all possible, stay away from Sprint and the Treo, unless you
> simply want cell phone with a tiny PDA.

Like I said, this has absolutely NOT been my experience.

And I'm not a SPCS stockholder or employee or anything else. I'm just
extremely satisfied with SPCS and my Treo. (Okay, I'd rather have had
the Kyocera 7135, but I've gotten over that!)
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 7:22:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Prasana" <pananthan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:19d562fe.0404121623.4ba7a614@posting.google.com...
> At best of times I seem to get slower than dialup.

You must be doing something wrong. I average 110 kbps on downloads
with my Samsung VGA1000 tethered to my laptop.

--

John Richards
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 8:22:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Bob Smith wrote:
> "Randy Crawford" <joe@burgershack.com> wrote in message
> news:c5eqap$6sc$1@joe.rice.edu...
>
>>Skankin wrote:
>>
>>>hi I am trying to upgrade my 8100 to the trio 600 or the hatachi 1000
>>>which is a better phone?
>>
>>I can't recommend the Treo600. The PCS digital data rate is PITIFUL.
....
>>
>> Randy
....
>
> Randy, how was Vision during your first two weeks you had the phone in
> Houston? The same as it is now? If it is, why did you keep the phone?
>
> Bob

It's my first cell, and my only phone at the moment. I figured I'd get
enough back in rebates to keep it, even without usable digital services,
(which I hoped would improve with stronger signals. It didn't).

Randy
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 8:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

rlsusenet@NOSPAMPUHLEEZschnapp.org wrote:
> Randy Crawford wrote:
....
>>
>>I can't recommend the Treo600. The PCS digital data rate is PITIFUL.
>>Bad dialup is faster. This is true no matter where I use it, or how
>>strong the signal is. It's still very bad when I turn off the
>>downloading of images. It is simply useless.
>
> That simply does NOT jibe with my experience. The PCS data rate is
> pathetic compared to DSL or cable modem. I typically see a data rate
> two to three times typical dialup (which rarely goes above 33kbps). I
> regularly get 60-100kbps when downloading, viewing websites, or emailing.

Near Houston? I've tried it all over Houston, and even in Austin, and
was consistently unfavorably impressed.

>
> Sprint PCS is probably no worse than any other company at rebate
> fulfillment. They stumble on occasion -- initially rejecting my Treo
> rebate for an obviously invalid reason. When I pointed out the problem
> to the rep on the phone (in Bangalore, no doubt), she quickly figured
> out what the problem was, and authorized the rebate. No lawsuit threats
> were required or warranted.

I can only hope.

>
> Like I said, this has absolutely NOT been my experience.
>
> And I'm not a SPCS stockholder or employee or anything else. I'm just
> extremely satisfied with SPCS and my Treo. (Okay, I'd rather have had
> the Kyocera 7135, but I've gotten over that!)

Do you use your Treo to web surf or just read email? I haven't used it
for messaging or email at all. I intended to use it as a remote
Googler, but with a web boot up time of about 30 seconds followed by
really slow web download times (most of which are delays and timeouts),
it just isn't useful to me except as a cell phone.

In fact, it seems a lot like web surfing across phone dialup that's
based on satellite. The initial contact time to a site isn't too bad,
but even simple web page loads are interrupted repeatedly with long
intervals of no activity. No good.

Randy
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 1:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

> > Randy, how was Vision during your first two weeks you had the phone in
> > Houston


Vision had two speed in Houston for me on a Sanyo RL2500.

SLOW and Hyper SLOW.

I cancelled Vision, long before my 2 free months were up.
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter