Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Verizon's Poor Equipment Selection

Last response: in Wireless Carriers
Share
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hello,

I've been struggling with this for a while and I've come to the
conclusion that Verizon just doesn't carry much in the way of
equipment. I'm probably the minority that really doesn't appreciate
flip phones or clam shells or whatever the kids are calling them these
days. I like the standard bar phones. Verizon has 3 of these. One is a
Motorola C343, another a Kyocera KX414 (good phone--I once had it),
and the last is the Nokia 3589i. Now I'm not really fond of motorola's
menu system so I have 2 options now. I just wish there were something
more that I could choose from. Can I buy a phone outright from e-bay
or elsewhere and activitate it? If I do that, what kind of phone can I
get? I mean the bands...I suppose tri-band is the better option, since
it works in three different modes. I know Verizon is really pushing
that digital but then you can't go analog at all and there are places
I go that are analog.

What is so special about flip phones that makes them apealing? I've
never liked the idea of having to open the phone up to talk on it. It
is just cumbersome. And to make calls it is 3-4 movements--this is a
lot of inconvience when you just wake up! I'm very coordinated--that's
not the issue, but the idea of convienence seems to allude me with
flip phones.

Thanks

Jeremy
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:49:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I'm nowhere near being a kid and I prefer the 'flip' type of phone.

1. A 'flip' type of phone protects the display and keypad. The display from getting scratched and
the keypad from accidental key presses.

2. On Moto 'flip' phones anyway, you can set them up to answer when you open them. That's *NO*
key strokes to answer.

2. A 'flip' phone preserves the ergonomics of ear to mouth distance. What I mean is testing shows that
people prefer to have a headset that covers the ear and that one can 'talk into'. Being of 'flip' type
design allows for this, yet also allows a smaller form factor when closed.

Yes, "tri-mode" is still best (800 AMPS, 800 CDMA and 1900 CDMA)


"JLP" <jporter188@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:D f14ec70.0406170915.336efdfb@posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> I've been struggling with this for a while and I've come to the
> conclusion that Verizon just doesn't carry much in the way of
> equipment. I'm probably the minority that really doesn't appreciate
> flip phones or clam shells or whatever the kids are calling them these
> days. I like the standard bar phones. Verizon has 3 of these. One is a
> Motorola C343, another a Kyocera KX414 (good phone--I once had it),
> and the last is the Nokia 3589i. Now I'm not really fond of motorola's
> menu system so I have 2 options now. I just wish there were something
> more that I could choose from. Can I buy a phone outright from e-bay
> or elsewhere and activitate it? If I do that, what kind of phone can I
> get? I mean the bands...I suppose tri-band is the better option, since
> it works in three different modes. I know Verizon is really pushing
> that digital but then you can't go analog at all and there are places
> I go that are analog.
>
> What is so special about flip phones that makes them apealing? I've
> never liked the idea of having to open the phone up to talk on it. It
> is just cumbersome. And to make calls it is 3-4 movements--this is a
> lot of inconvience when you just wake up! I'm very coordinated--that's
> not the issue, but the idea of convienence seems to allude me with
> flip phones.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeremy
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:08:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

JLP wrote:
> Can I buy a phone outright from e-bay or elsewhere and activitate it?

Yes. In fact, you can activate it (switch ESNs) yourself on the website.
Make sure the phone is not "locked" if buying elsewhere.

-Quick
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 3:23:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"JLP" <jporter188@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D f14ec70.0406170915.336efdfb@posting.google.com
<Snipped>

I just wish there were something more that I could choose from. Can I buy a
phone outright from e-bay
> or elsewhere and activitate it? If I do that, what kind of phone can I
> get? I mean the bands...I suppose tri-band is the better option, since
> it works in three different modes. I know Verizon is really pushing
> that digital but then you can't go analog at all and there are places
> I go that are analog.
>
<end Snip> Jeremy

Absolutely/positively. I got 5 different phones from Ebay (plus the one I
got when I started my service), and just switch between them online at my
convenience. (got to the verizonwireless website, log on, click on activate
phone, enter the ESN, and a few minutes later it is working).

You do have to get the phones elsewhere and not stick with the $100 for 2
years stuff, course one of the phones is a Kyocera smartphone, $499 at
verizon, $200 off Ebay, so I saved $299 bucks and STILL have the $100 credit
:) 
June 17, 2004 6:37:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Richard Ness" <richardno@damnspam.nessnet.com> wrote in message
news:lM-dnR_3BPoHREzdRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> I'm nowhere near being a kid and I prefer the 'flip' type of phone.
>
> 1. A 'flip' type of phone protects the display and keypad. The display
from getting scratched and
> the keypad from accidental key presses.
>
> 2. On Moto 'flip' phones anyway, you can set them up to answer when you
open them. That's *NO*
> key strokes to answer.
>
> 2. A 'flip' phone preserves the ergonomics of ear to mouth distance. What
I mean is testing shows that
> people prefer to have a headset that covers the ear and that one can 'talk
into'. Being of 'flip' type
> design allows for this, yet also allows a smaller form factor when closed.
>
> Yes, "tri-mode" is still best (800 AMPS, 800 CDMA and 1900 CDMA)
>
>
Also not a kid and I prefer flip phones for the same reasons (especially the
second #2). LG phones can also be set to answer when opened.
June 18, 2004 2:37:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <2je5tfFv5u1eU1@uni-berlin.de>, Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com
says...
> "JLP" <jporter188@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D f14ec70.0406170915.336efdfb@posting.google.com
> <Snipped>
>
> I just wish there were something more that I could choose from. Can I buy a
> phone outright from e-bay
> > or elsewhere and activitate it? If I do that, what kind of phone can I
> > get? I mean the bands...I suppose tri-band is the better option, since
> > it works in three different modes. I know Verizon is really pushing
> > that digital but then you can't go analog at all and there are places
> > I go that are analog.
> >
> <end Snip> Jeremy
>
> Absolutely/positively. I got 5 different phones from Ebay (plus the one I
> got when I started my service), and just switch between them online at my
> convenience. (got to the verizonwireless website, log on, click on activate
> phone, enter the ESN, and a few minutes later it is working).
>
> You do have to get the phones elsewhere and not stick with the $100 for 2
> years stuff, course one of the phones is a Kyocera smartphone, $499 at
> verizon, $200 off Ebay, so I saved $299 bucks and STILL have the $100 credit
> :) 
>
>
>
When you buy from ebay, do you buy from resellers or from individuals?

TIA

Louise
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:06:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b3c1f7b1f93f170989718@news.newsguy.com
> In article <2je5tfFv5u1eU1@uni-berlin.de>, Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com
> says...
>> "JLP" <jporter188@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:D f14ec70.0406170915.336efdfb@posting.google.com
>> <Snipped>
>>
>> I just wish there were something more that I could choose from. Can
>> I buy a phone outright from e-bay
>>> or elsewhere and activitate it? If I do that, what kind of phone
>>> can I get? I mean the bands...I suppose tri-band is the better
>>> option, since it works in three different modes. I know Verizon is
>>> really pushing that digital but then you can't go analog at all and
>>> there are places I go that are analog.
>>>
>> <end Snip> Jeremy
>>
>> Absolutely/positively. I got 5 different phones from Ebay (plus the
>> one I got when I started my service), and just switch between them
>> online at my convenience. (got to the verizonwireless website, log
>> on, click on activate phone, enter the ESN, and a few minutes later
>> it is working).
>>
>> You do have to get the phones elsewhere and not stick with the $100
>> for 2 years stuff, course one of the phones is a Kyocera smartphone,
>> $499 at verizon, $200 off Ebay, so I saved $299 bucks and STILL have
>> the $100 credit :) 
>>
>>
>>
> When you buy from ebay, do you buy from resellers or from individuals?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

Both. It depends what you want, and how soon you want it. I usually find
resellers have new stuff and no bid buy (buy it now) stuff, while a lot of
the stuff from individuals does the bidding thing and may/or may not be
used. For myself, I travel about 11 1/2 months out of the year, so want it
now while I am at a certain address, rather than sometime later when I may
have moved.
There are many many other places to buy cellphones from (resellers), I just
mentioned ebay since the OP had specifically asked about it. If I want
something fast, I go with straight resellers (not ebay), medium quick, I go
with ebay, forever and a day, private party on ebay.
June 18, 2004 11:51:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <2jff2gF108ac2U1@uni-berlin.de>, Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com
says...
> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1b3c1f7b1f93f170989718@news.newsguy.com
> > In article <2je5tfFv5u1eU1@uni-berlin.de>, Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com
> > says...
> >> "JLP" <jporter188@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D f14ec70.0406170915.336efdfb@posting.google.com
> >> <Snipped>
> >>
> >> I just wish there were something more that I could choose from. Can
> >> I buy a phone outright from e-bay
> >>> or elsewhere and activitate it? If I do that, what kind of phone
> >>> can I get? I mean the bands...I suppose tri-band is the better
> >>> option, since it works in three different modes. I know Verizon is
> >>> really pushing that digital but then you can't go analog at all and
> >>> there are places I go that are analog.
> >>>
> >> <end Snip> Jeremy
> >>
> >> Absolutely/positively. I got 5 different phones from Ebay (plus the
> >> one I got when I started my service), and just switch between them
> >> online at my convenience. (got to the verizonwireless website, log
> >> on, click on activate phone, enter the ESN, and a few minutes later
> >> it is working).
> >>
> >> You do have to get the phones elsewhere and not stick with the $100
> >> for 2 years stuff, course one of the phones is a Kyocera smartphone,
> >> $499 at verizon, $200 off Ebay, so I saved $299 bucks and STILL have
> >> the $100 credit :) 
> >>
> >>
> >>
> > When you buy from ebay, do you buy from resellers or from individuals?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Louise
>
> Both. It depends what you want, and how soon you want it. I usually find
> resellers have new stuff and no bid buy (buy it now) stuff, while a lot of
> the stuff from individuals does the bidding thing and may/or may not be
> used. For myself, I travel about 11 1/2 months out of the year, so want it
> now while I am at a certain address, rather than sometime later when I may
> have moved.
> There are many many other places to buy cellphones from (resellers), I just
> mentioned ebay since the OP had specifically asked about it. If I want
> something fast, I go with straight resellers (not ebay), medium quick, I go
> with ebay, forever and a day, private party on ebay.
>
>
>
Thanks
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 10:06:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I agree about flip phones. I don't like them.

I'm using a Nokia 6585 on Verizon. It's a nice small tri-mode
candybar phone. About the same size as the Nokia 6200 or 6610.

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6585

Bought it on ebay for roughly $200. Works great.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 2:55:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <Wg%Ac.100$Ae.48817@monger.newsread.com>,
Mark Henderson <mch@darkhunger.com> wrote:
>I agree about flip phones. I don't like them.
>
>I'm using a Nokia 6585 on Verizon. It's a nice small tri-mode
>candybar phone. About the same size as the Nokia 6200 or 6610.
>
>http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6585
>
>Bought it on ebay for roughly $200. Works great.
>

Oh, by the way, there's a discussion of using the Nokia 6585 on Verizon on
howardforums.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=...
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 2:37:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Hello Mark and all,

Have you had a chance to do data with that Nokia 6585?
No one on the discussion could say if 1x or QNC data works with that phone.

Thanks for any info,
-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu


"Mark Henderson" <mch@darkhunger.com> wrote in message
news:mv3Bc.113$Ae.55626@monger.newsread.com...
> In article <Wg%Ac.100$Ae.48817@monger.newsread.com>,
> Mark Henderson <mch@darkhunger.com> wrote:
> >I agree about flip phones. I don't like them.
> >
> >I'm using a Nokia 6585 on Verizon. It's a nice small tri-mode
> >candybar phone. About the same size as the Nokia 6200 or 6610.
> >
> >http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6585
> >
> >Bought it on ebay for roughly $200. Works great.
> >
>
> Oh, by the way, there's a discussion of using the Nokia 6585 on Verizon on
> howardforums.
>
>
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=...
>
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter