Cingular decided not to play nice anymore

vkosty

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hi everybody.
Few days ago I requested Cingular to unlock my BB 7100c for upcoming overseas travel and they refused to do so. I heard that in the past they honored such requests, but that appears to be history.
What they suggested was either to use their services in the country we are going to (at $2+/min) or to sign up for international roaming option (~ $5/month). Needless to say neither is acceptable. They repeatedly denied phone and e-mail requests. It is so stupid, really, especially since one can unlock a phone instantly for $20-25 these days.
I did promise them I will inform the community on how they treated me. This is it.
VK

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Or you could just buy a cheap pay-as-you-go phone in that country and get a few cards for it. If this is not going to be an extended trip this will probably be your least-hassle option (and possibly least expensive as well).

Is $5 a month for international roaming really that big of a deal? That's $60 a year.

vkosty

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
$60 a year is not a big deal, I just refuse to support customer unfriendly businesses.
Thanks for the tip

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
$60 a year is not a big deal, I just refuse to support customer unfriendly businesses.
Thanks for the tip

I read your initial post as a complaint about the $5 per month. My appologies.

megloman

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Just unlocked 2 more here http://www.unlockingblackberry.com
had code reader in 5 mins. I bought these phones used and no provider would give me the subsidy code. I had to use this link to disable my password security policy.
(FAQ) http://newmobilefreedom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

I thought I was out of luck since one of them had a password on it and I didnt know you could reset or even disable it. now I have the option to turn the password on or off :)
and its unlocked!
Hope this helps -

leckig

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
well, it is a bad news - they did send me unlock code for my treo 650. Not a big deal though - everywhere in europe you can unlock your phone for 5-20 euros. In Poland at most train stations they do it for less :)