Nextel sent me to collection agency after I'd paid timely

dancincat

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Has anyone else had this happen?

I came home from work last night to a message from NCO (?) collection agency. Worried since I have stellar credit, I called first thing this morning.

Two months ago I got rid of Nextel and ported my phone number over to Alltel. I'd always paid my Nextel account timely via electonic check, and Nextel always sent me a confirmation card in the mail noting they'd received the payment. Although I'd already paid my December bill, when I received my last bill it included the December bill amount on it again as past due, even though they'd sent me a confirmation they'd received it. HUH? I immediately paid the remaining, pro-rated balance for the last month of my Nextel service (it was for less than a week of service).

It hasn't even been 30 days since my last payment WOULD HAVE been due and Nextel has sent my account to a collection agency to collect what I've already paid!!! This EXACT same thing happened to my sister with Sprint (who, of course, is part of Nextel now) last year when she bought a new phone.

jgwestr

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
Yes, I have. And if you are a US citizen and, even better, a resident of Texas please email me at jgwestr@hotmail.com. I am building a class action lawsuit against Nextel for violations of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Please, if you have any information, my email is again jgwestr@hotmail.com.