Can Verizon phone work with Sprint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkpana

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Hi to all. I’m new to this forum, just signed up. Found this spot while doing my endless Google searches on CDMA, GSM, Sprint and Verizon. I don’t know if this topic has been covered before or not so please if it has please for give me and also I’m really not in the know of all this Telcom stuff so bear with me a little, thanks ;)

Okay here I go… I now know that Sprint and Verizon both use the CDMA network but thing I don’t understand is why can’t you take a Verizon phone over to sprint and vise versa? I know friends that have done phone swaps with T-Mobile and Cingular (I know they are GSM) by unlocking phones. Can something like this be done with CDMA carries? If so please inform how and if not, why not?

I’m a Sprint customer looking for a PDA phone but just isn’t happy with the phones available. Verizon offers Samsung SCH-I730 which is a Dual Band 1900 / 800 MHz digital CDMA phone and I would really like to get it without switching service providers. Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks in advance,

MK

Nexxuvas

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I'll step in,

Due to the specifics of software loaded onto each different carrier's phone...No.

Hardware wise yes, you can do this, if you were somehow to find out the MSL codes for each phone (also called a sublock).

Since you have to hard code the programming on these. (Manually program, not OTA) you could do so with the sublock/MSL, but trying to tell the VCast to log into Power Vision, or vice versa, you are likely to make the software crash or not understand the information being sent/recieved, possibly frying your phone. Your voice calls would go thru just fine. Software on CDMA phones are more dependant on what the carrier's specific specs are, unlike GSM where the software is not.

If you are looking for a phone similar to the Samsung I730, I suggest purchasing the PPC6700 by UT Starcom. So far this has been a rock solid phone, EVDO speeds with also WiFi built in, 1.3 MP camera, and the new Windows mobile version.

BTW, employees that hand out sublock/MSL info can be terminated. Finding an unnatural ESN on the system is a lot easier to do now a days.

Better to give up the hassles and look at a similar phone that the carrier offers when it comes to CDMA.

GSM is different in that as long as the SIM lock is off, you can put any chip in there and use the voice side...but it takes a bit of programming to get the Data side to work properly, and in most cases, it doesn't work properly.

mkpana

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks for the info. I have looked at the Audiovox / UT Starcom phone but just wasn't sure how it would hold up in the long run. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just get it.

I really do appreciate the info though :wink: .

ev2123

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
hey this is a sprint customer i have previously talked to sprint customer service and i was told that you can not use use verison phones for sprint at all i am not sure exactly why but he said something about programing

sierraluvsfamily

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I really like this Sprint phone and was considering getting it but i have Verizon Wireless and I really wanna know if I can have a Sprint phone but still be on Verizon.... I will try to get an answer and i will share.
Thanks. :)

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Sprint / Verizon Compatibility for Phones / Making them work.
Heres the scoop with getting Sprint / Verizon phones to work on opposite carrier / other unbranded carrier:
Get the EPST/DST settings - PRL and what not out of ANY data capable phone (except blackberry, unless its a blackberry you need to take across)
Find the programming code for the phone you've got, edit them to match the destination carrier. Done!
NOW, heres where it gets weak sauce. Verizon & Sprint will both tell you that the ESN needs to be in their database for them to activate it. Thats a big fat load. What you have to do is keep probing for intelligent life coupled with a little bit of a LIE and eventually they'll manually add the ESN to the system, which as of 2009 every CSR could do. Some Verizon phones have lock codes to prevent you from modifying or even viewing the programming, but they are typically easy to find on the internet.
I've only managed to get Verizon to do this for me 2 times in 6 years, its a real pain.
Taking a Verizon phone to a smaller carrier like CellSouth and what not is usually a breeze as they just want your service, however there will be issues with some of those on the data side of things, depending on their setup.
Old thread, just thought i'd throw this in.

G

I know old thread but:
Just got an HTC phone (Sprint) at Google I/O and never registered/activated it in the first place with Sprint.
Do you know if this does make any difference in regards to registering it with Verizon?

Any ideas on if I should first activate it with Sprint, then find out the MSL codes etc and go to Verizon or maybe take it to Verizon in the very first place before even activating it?!

Thanks!

G

i currently have a sprint phone ( the rant) it has broke..a friend of mine gave me a blackberry but it has a verizon logo on it..wat r the chances of getting my sprint service to this verizon phone?

G

I know old thread but:
Just got an HTC phone (Sprint) at Google I/O and never registered/activated it in the first place with Sprint.
Do you know if this does make any difference in regards to registering it with Verizon?

Any ideas on if I should first activate it with Sprint, then find out the MSL codes etc and go to Verizon or maybe take it to Verizon in the very first place before even activating it?!

Thanks!

Are you trying to get your EVO on Verizon? I got one of those too, very interested if you can get it to work!

the_seeker_07

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

hey,
Can you help me? I really need input from someone of your knowledge.
I have a Samsung (Fascinate) Galaxy S (Verizon) phone and I want to use that phone on my Sprint network.
Everytime, I called Sprint Customer Service for assistance they said that they don't have the ESN number in their database. I called them 3 times already and they still say the same thing. I have not done any programming change in the phone either. Where should I start?
Criticism or comments are welcome from anyone because I just want to learn the specific intricate of mobile phones.
THANK YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.